Thread: Custom Tied Salmon Leaders?

Default Custom Tied Salmon Leaders?

Does anybody know someone who ties custom tied salmon leaders (with slip hooks).?

Thanks

Default Leaders

I bought some last year on-line from Cabelas. Frey Meyers should have a good selectin in their fishing department. I know the FM in Soldotna had a huge selection of hook sizes with different lb leaders.

Charterboat Operator

b & j commercial.
    stay away from the gamakatsu slips though. the thread they use for there slip is terrible! come apart after the first fish. sent about 2 dozen back last season. they sent me more for replacements.

Thumbs up

If you ever make it in to the Palmer area, give me a ring and I'll show you how to tie them up. They aren't hard, but it would be impossible to explain the knot used via the computer.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I found this video simple to follow
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/videosteach.htm

Hello Everybody,

Thanks for your input. I used to tie all my own leaders. However, the "Golden Years" have taken their toll and my vision isn't very good any more. Making my own leaders has become too much of a hassle. And, I can't find any commercially tied slip leaders that are tied with Fluorocarbon. So, I'm looking for someone who ties custom leaders.

Your comment about Gamakatsu slip ties was interresting. A lot of folks around here (Wrangell - in Southeast Alaska) have the same complaint that you do. However, my friends and I have used them for a number of years with no problem. However, when we're fishing for Chinook we rarely use a leader for more than one fish and always use a new leader for each trip. We've actually been very pleased with them.

If I'm not mistaken, 3 Rivers Fly and Tackle in Wasilla ties up alot of their own leaders. You may call them and see what they can do for you. http://www.3riversflyandtackle.com/index.html Hope that helps.

heck if you want some double rigs, supply the materials and I can tie ya up some. I dont do the slip rig though. NOt sure how many you're wanting.

I'm just starting to tie mine for this summer's charter season (I know slacking aint I LOL).

Default Why are you using a Slip?

I went away from slip hooks as soon as I figured out how to get a desired roll with solid ties, no more slip leaders falling apart or just giving up that much hook set for the slipage on the leader.
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

Thumbs down Gamakatsu Leaders

I had the same eperience with half a dozen Gamakatsu leaders last year. They completely unravel if you are drift fishing.

I'm seeing a mix of comments about herring leaders and egg loops. Wasn't the original question about herring rigs?

Mr Pid,

I tie a double hooked herring rig using the egg loop knot (would snell and it'd probably be quicker but I've gotten too used to the egg loop).

You can cut plug or choke with this rig. The eggloop is just the knots name.

Thanks again to everybody for your input. I'd especially like to thank TradBow for his offer to tie some leaders for me. However, a couple of friends and I are looking to order a fair number and I wouldn't feel right about asking you to tie that many. Also, I'm stuck on slip ties. Thanks anyway.

As to profishguide's question....I just like the slip ties. It allows me to place the hooks exactly where I want on the herring and give it the amount of spin that I like. Since I use herring of various sizes depending on the situation it allows me to be consistent in my hook placement. However, I do use solid ties when I fish cut plugs. From the comments it seems like folks have problems with slip ties. However, they seem to work well for me.