Thread: Half Dried

Default Half Dried

In another lifetime I lived on the Yukon river and the folks up there used a process called Half Dried for King Salmon and it is AWESOME ! Unfortunately, I didn't have the good sense to find out exactly how they did it, or if it worked equally well for other varieties of Salmon. I have tried to duplicate the process with Reds, Silvers and Chum, but have been very unsuccessful. If anyone can elaborate on the process of Half Dried, you would sure be doing myself and others that don't know the secret a huge favor. All I know is that it is a lot more than just brineing, and cold smoking for several days and then boiling it in water and serving cold in the broth as I observed years ago. Whatever the process, it may not sound like much, but this is some of the absolute best smoked fish I have ever had.

I also have had some excellent smoked Halibut, but there must be a different process for that as my trying to do it the same way I do Salmon was equally disastrous. Any help there would also be greatly appreciated.

As to Dipnetting this year, PLEASE, keep it clean, keep it friendly and sportsmanlike, keep it going, and, a big thank you to those that do.
    Last edited by uhldwm; 07-02-2010 at 15:43. Reason: Stupid fingers hitting wrong letters on keyboard.

Default Rraamaalluk...

is what yer referin' too & it's one of the better tastin' ways I've eatin' it as well... It's good you've gotten passed the smell...I couldn't work the nerve up til' 'bout two years ago, & am kickin' myself in the ass fer not tryin' it sooner...

I'll ask around...I know the chum are half dried, & dunno 'bout kings...less the jacks are rraamaalluked...(the double rr in Yutuun is rolled from the soft pallet & the double ll is the tip of the tounge pressed on the alvealor ridge & then air blown out the sides...)

The area of Tanana is where I encountered it and neither the look, nor smell was not at all offensive as I recall. I do have a relative in Kotzebue that I understand acquired a taste for “Stink Fish” and considers it a delicacy, but I believe the Half Dried I am familiar with is a far different thing. I guess it is a matter ,of perspective as I understand that many of the delicacies from around the world might gag us “White Eyes, or Round Eyes”, but things like Blue, and Roquefort Cheese are disgusting to the pallets of others around the globe. So, taste as well as beauty are largely in the eye, or mouth, of the beholder I suppose.

Default It only smells...

when it's prepared... I get headaches just thinkin' 'bout it...