Thread: Trekking poles

Default Trekking poles

I am in need of a pair of poles for hiking/hunting. I originally was planning to buy the black diamond coutour elliptical cork poles. As soon as I plan to pull the plug , I see the levi corklite poles also available in cork. Which would be the stronger poles best suited for hunting.

Default Black Diamon Contour Elipticals

I just bought the BD Contour Elipticals for 2 reasons:
    -designed for strengh with the "tear drop" shape to them
    -Leverlock system rather than the twist system to lock the poles in place.

I'll try them out this weekend but from what I read they're the "cat's meow" regarding strength and durability. I plan on using mine for my sheep hunt in August.

I bought mine locally in Anchorage at Alaska Mountaineering and Hardware on Spenard for $109. $119 at REI. I found them online at www.basegear.com on sale for about $80 but I'm not sure what the shipping cost would be.

Good Luck

Brian

I have and use the BD's and they are a quantum improvement over their competitors. Their flip lock is the most slip resistant I have found so have been more than satisfied with their performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis77 View Post
    I am in need of a pair of poles for hiking/hunting. I originally was planning to buy the black diamond coutour elliptical cork poles. As soon as I plan to pull the plug , I see the levi corklite poles also available in cork. Which would be the stronger poles best suited for hunting.
    Do a search we have hashed this out in the gear section dozens of times.

BTW, Black Diamond with the Flik lock system is the perennial favorite. I have the contour elliptical poles and have a couple seasons on them. So far I am thrilled w/ them. They have held up to hard use and supported 300 lbs consistently and over 350lbs (Me+meat pack) on a few occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Do a search we have hashed this out in the gear section dozens of times.

BTW, Black Diamond with the Flik lock system is the perennial favorite. I have the contour elliptical poles and have a couple seasons on them. So far I am thrilled w/ them. They have held up to hard use and supported 300 lbs consistently and over 350lbs (Me+meat pack) on a few occasions.
    Yep started with a set of Lekis, then some Komperdells, now own two sets of BD trekking poles. The flicklock is way nice compared to the twist lock. Plus my one set of BD poles just got used on a 110 mile backpack/packraft tour of the Talkeetna mountains which also doubled as my a 6'2 tall centerpole for my 3 lb tipi tent cant hardly beat that.

Thanks for the replies guys. I realize the BD are considered superior over the standard leki twist lock(read it here on the forum many times). But the leki poles I am looking at(khumbu aergon) are not the twist lock but indeed flint lock similar to the BD. Just making sure we are on the same page here. Thanks

10 4 on the forum location I used

I too have gone the BD routewith no regrets and use the snot out of them year round. I am not petite, and I have been able to bend the lower section on my BD in a fall. I contacted the company and they had a replacement part in the mail the same day. Great service, great product, and they have never failed me.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Quote Originally Posted by Roger45 View Post
    I too have gone the BD routewith no regrets and use the snot out of them year round. I am not petite, and I have been able to bend the lower section on my BD in a fall. I contacted the company and they had a replacement part in the mail the same day. Great service, great product, and they have never failed me.
    I hear this over and over about BD. They innovated the flick lock and I can't see switching any time soon. Why fix what ain't broke?

Default black diamond poles on sale

I may tend to research my gear purchases too much. I went ahead and purchased the spire ellipticals since they were on sale. Thought I might pass it on.

http://www.sunnysports.com/Catalog.a...iamond%20poles