Thread: Fly in pike (from Anchorage)

Default Fly in pike (from Anchorage)

I'm thinking about flying in with my son for some pike fishing......one of those things we've always wanted to do and now he's almost off to college so this could be our last chance for a while

Alexander lake is the most well known spot but we might take a couple of one person catarafts or a float tube so we could fly into a lake without boats available.

I know the fishing is great right at ice out but then I've been told it goes slack for a bit while they spawn and then it roars back to life in mid June.

Can anybody else add some insight to how to best time this trip? Other places to go besides Alexander?.......air charters to use?

Thanks!!

Actually from my experience at Alexander Lake, the pike fishing is a little slow because of the water temp right after ice out. We went out right after ice out and the two of us only boated 28 pike and we were the only o nes on the lake. They struck at just about everything we threw at them. I would wait a little for the water to warm up although the ice is finally out at the lake and its fun even with the relatively slow fishing. We used Trail Ridge Air (248-0838). They will fly you out and supply a boat and motor for the day.

Default Minto Flats

Quote Originally Posted by AKCheese
    I'm thinking about flying in with my son for some pike fishing......one of those things we've always wanted to do and now he's almost off to college so this could be our last chance for a while

Alexander lake is the most well known spot but we might take a couple of one person catarafts or a float tube so we could fly into a lake without boats available.

I know the fishing is great right at ice out but then I've been told it goes slack for a bit while they spawn and then it roars back to life in mid June.

Can anybody else add some insight to how to best time this trip? Other places to go besides Alexander?.......air charters to use?

Thanks!!

AK CHEESE,

Yo might want to consider Minto Flats for your trip. I know it is a long venture from Anchorage to Fairbanks, but the Pike fishing can be very good with fish up to 20 LBS are not all that uncommon.

Check with Bill at North Country River Charters. Just a thought! Good luck and Tight Lines.

From Anchorage try Sucker Lake or Figure 8 Lake are nice short flights, and IMHO better than Alexander Lake. My home water is Shell Lake, but that is going to double your flying costs over Alexander or Sucker. Figure 8 is the closest.

Best timing is later in season, but pike are pretty easy from now on. It is slowest in mid-summer, especially when it is hot as they get lethargic and hard to entice onto the hook. It starts picking up nice in August, and September and into October is fantastic. Another really good thing is floating Alexander Creek from the Lake to the Susitna River. There are pike throughout, and very few float it anymore since Ketchum shut down. Alexander creek is a nice 3-4 day trip.

For 135 float operation from Lake Hood I would recommend Alaska Air Taxi. Jack Barber runs it, safe operation and fair on pricing.

Default pike

Flat horn is very good. I fished it in late August last year and did very good. Land on floats and then follow the shore line pike are every where. If you had a raft and small engine it would be even better as trolling a rubber mouse on a 6 weight was great fun! Viktor