Thread: Garmin mapsource and apple.

Default Garmin mapsource and apple.

So I finally decided to buy a handheld to use in the boat and in the field instead of a nice unit just for the boat....

Here is the problem I have, I have an apple computer. It doesn't recognize the Garmin mapsource software. Is there a way around this? (I am new to computers and really new to this apple)

Is there a program available to read/use the mapsource windows cd on my apple?

Thanks!

There are two programs that allow you to run Windows applications on a Mac, Parallels Desktop and VMWare Fusion. I know that Costco was carrying Parallels not too long ago, and I think there are dozens of places to buy either one on-line.

Default There also is...

You can also search using google for a program called wine. Wine is a free opensource application that allows you to run windows based applications on your Mac. Unlike parallels and fusion, which allow you to install a copy of windows (yes, you would legally need to purchase windows for those solutions) it simply runs the program instead. I have used it under Linux with good results and think it might work for this as well. I believe there is an application compatibility list on the wine website.

Dan

I was just going to ask that very question... It looks as though I would have to buy the program and then buy windows of some sort, and then run mapsource. Not really what I want to do.

Off to look for wine!

Thanks

Default Another option

If you have a copy of Windows then you could just use Apple's bootcamp and install windows on your macintosh with out using a third party emulator like Parallels or Fusion.

It's only shipped with the newer macs but if you purchased your macintosh in the last 18 months or so it's most likely on your macintosh already.

Boot camp creates a disk of drivers for Windows so you have all the required drivers for Windows on the macintosh hardware.

dan

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Well now that I have the program downloaded and installed, I can't seem to figure out how to use it. I try to run it, and it tells me it can't find any garmin stuff to install. I have put the mapsource cd into the machine, plugged the gps to the computer through the usb, and even taken the data card out of the gps and put it into the card reader on the computer.

Anybody familiar with an apple want to lend some ideas?

Thanks!

Default run Mapmanager first

MapManager copies maps and unlock codes into the right place to be accessible by MapInstall. MapInstall installs maps onto your Garmin. Mapmanager and map install should be in the same download. Garmin's mac software is here

http://www8.garmin.com/macosx/index.jsp

Garmin forums are here

https://forums.garmin.com/index.php