Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish Taxidermist Advice

Default Fish Taxidermist Advice

I'm looking for a fish taxidermist. I hope to mount a salt water king salmon and would prefer not to spend thousands. Any suggestions?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Default The best suggestion I can give is

before you select a particular taxidermist, look at a lot of his/her work, not just one or two mounts. Get a close look at the details, like around the eyes (no gaps, smooth transitions), inside the mouth(coloration), condition of the fins etc. Certainly saving a little money can be important, but not at the expense of having a mount you aren't completely satisfied with.

Also ask to see some skin mounts vs. replicas.

You really get what you pay for when choosing a taxidermist. Like Frostbitten said, look at several of their mounts. I highly recommend Mark Oslund. Here is a link: http://www.rltaxidermy.com/
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Yep, as said don't let $$$$ be your guide.
    Advanced Taxidermy does some stellar work. I'm going to get a replica of my big Kenai bow done. Cost for a replica of this 29 1/2" bow? About $500 CAD.

Advanced Taxidermy

Tell the truth drifter, that IS the mount you just carry it with you to different streams to get new pics to post

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Tell the truth drifter, that IS the mount you just carry it with you to different streams to get new pics to post
    Not yet, I haven't placed the order yet.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    You really get what you pay for when choosing a taxidermist. Like Frostbitten said, look at several of their mounts. I highly recommend Mark Oslund. Here is a link: http://www.rltaxidermy.com/

+1

Not cheap, but the work speaks for itself.

"Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Thumbs up OMG

Man that's sweet!
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

We're currently in the process of having Luke Filmer at Blackwater do my wife's ocean king (51") from last year. Work is topnotch and he's been a treat to deal with. And no, it's not cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Not yet, I haven't placed the order yet.

Cheap bass turd! LOL!

http://www.mountthis.net/

THIS website is the best. Cheap, and great work. i don't have a pic to prove it, but i guarantee they are cheaper than anywhere else. The only thing is shipping is high (if you're in AK) but even with shipping, their prices are way cheaper. The customer service is A++, and their work is great.

I got a 45" king mount shipped for $420 and some change (don't remember exactly) and the work was phenomenal, 2 sidded mount and very high in detail. The mount arrived in about 30days and have a money back guarantee. I promise you won't be let down.
    Any questions feel free to PM, im telling you, these guys are on top of their game.
    EDIT1: don't let the pics on the website fool you, my mount looked 10times better than the ones in the pics, just make sure you have a bunch of pics of your fish and they will put as much detail as possible.
    I Wish i could change my name to Shimano, because i recently started hating Ambassdor Abu_Garcia.

My vote is for Outdoor Memories Taxidermy. Terry did an awesome job on a repro. He sent me pics through out the process from start to finish. He shipped in a box that was so sturdy and well built, that I had a hard time getting the fish out.

http://www.freewebs.com/thefullers/

Here is a pic of my Sockeye:

And heere is the fish he did:

Proudly Serving Since 1997
    The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"

nice mount sith

Thanks for that link FP...and photo...that dudes work is awesome! Have been looking for a good fish taxidermist for a long time now.

There was one here in fairbanks that made some awesome repos. I remember meeting him years back at the midnight sun casters meetings.......to heck if I can find him!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Abu_Garcia View Post
    http://www.mountthis.net/

THIS website is the best. Cheap, and great work. i don't have a pic to prove it, but i guarantee they are cheaper than anywhere else. The only thing is shipping is high (if you're in AK) but even with shipping, their prices are way cheaper. The customer service is A++, and their work is great.

I got a 45" king mount shipped for $420 and some change (don't remember exactly) and the work was phenomenal, 2 sidded mount and very high in detail. The mount arrived in about 30days and have a money back guarantee. I promise you won't be let down.
    Any questions feel free to PM, im telling you, these guys are on top of their game.
    EDIT1: don't let the pics on the website fool you, my mount looked 10times better than the ones in the pics, just make sure you have a bunch of pics of your fish and they will put as much detail as possible.

I gotta see this. Please post a picture of your fish because you gotta prove it to me. The pictures on their website are the worst mounts I have ever seen. They couldn't pay me to put that on my wall. Please post a picture of yours and make me change my mind, even a little.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    I gotta see this. Please post a picture of your fish because you gotta prove it to me. The pictures on their website are the worst mounts I have ever seen. They couldn't pay me to put that on my wall. Please post a picture of yours and make me change my mind, even a little.
    yea i will, my only problem is im at work, and have no pics available. But yea i was catuious about them until i did some research and they have really good reviews so decided to try them out. after seeing those $1000+ mounts, i will say that doesnt have that amount of detail, but it surely is a good mount. Very glossy and good detail. the only thing is it doesnt have the individual scale detail that that $1000+ one above. but it looks like they used the same mount, just painted different.
    I Wish i could change my name to Shimano, because i recently started hating Ambassdor Abu_Garcia.

Sounds good, the main thing is that you are happy with the mount. I do know for sure that it is not the same blank as Mark at Real Life uses only his own stock of molded kings. He is a master mold maker and specializes in his blanks, which he doesn't sell to anyone. But I would still like to see a picture of your fish when you get a chance, I am glad to hear their work is better than the pictures on their site.

yea no problem, i will upload one tomorrow. but it looks clompletely different as fair as the paint sceme is concerned. its basically the same paint scheme as the one in the pics they advertise but it has WAAAAY more detail. but that basic color scheme is the way my fish looked. it appears that the mount above may be a fresh freshwater salmon (im no expert by any means) and thus the reason for the bluish color at the top. while my fish was more black at the top (i have a small picture of it when you click my profile). but yea overall im very satisfied with my mount, granite i would have loved to get that same mount as the pic above but i cant afford 1000+ for a fish mount. i will say that IMO mountthis.net is worth every penny. But i do agree that their advertisement is crap, or maybe i just caught them on a good day!

Not a King, but a nice 32" Ice Fishing Lake Trout skin mount that Mark at Real Life did for me. For anyone who wants to see epic quality, stop by his shop and take a look at his recent work...he only gets better and better every year! There are a ton of his old mounts haging on the walls of Sportsmans Warehouse down on Old Seward. There is also a huge threesome of Kings mount on the wall near the fly counter.

I just dropped my derby winning fish off to Mark at Real Life today and was chatting for over an hour at his shop and ill tell you what he does some amazing work, the mounts he had there had excellent detail and flawless paint transitions/schemes.I cant wait to get mine back! I am very impressed with the work he has done hanging in his shop
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

"fishNphysician", is that a skin or replica? Either way, it's a beautiful piece of work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast