Thread: Pilot's pay

Default Pilot's pay

This Juneau outfit is hiring pilots right now. Does anyone know how much they pay new pilots with min experience?

Wings of Alaska is looking for Cessna 207 and 208 pilots to join their team.
    Qualifications:
    * Commercial Rating
    * Instrument Rating
    * Single Engine Land
    * 1500 hours total time
    * 500 hours Alaska or Pacific Northwest time preferred
    * Drug testing required

My guess regardless how much flight time you have logged. They would start you off at around 35 dollars per flight hour. Under part 135 you have some flight and duty rules. 1400 hours in a year 800 hours in a half and 500 hours in a quarter. So you would be looking at 50K a year to start if you flew the max hours permitted. Or it may be straight salary Could be a little more or a lot less. Out in Bethel that would be what they would start you at, a single guy with no real debt could get by on it. I sent them a resume, and I have a lot more that 1500 hours logged. Almost 1000 PIC in the 208, with the amount of pilots on the streets unemployed, Its a ball park number. I am sure that if they offered 10 a flight hour they would have a few hundred pilots willing to fly for that. Better than nothing as they say.

Thanks for the info, BH206L3. I doubt that anyone would fly 1400 hrs a year, given the winters in Juneau, and I think it is a seasonal job (but I may be wrong). Good luck with getting this job - you seem to have good experience for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BH206L3 View Post
    My guess regardless how much flight time you have logged. They would start you off at around 35 dollars per flight hour. Under part 135 you have some flight and duty rules. 1400 hours in a year 800 hours in a half and 500 hours in a quarter. So you would be looking at 50K a year to start if you flew the max hours permitted. Or it may be straight salary Could be a little more or a lot less. Out in Bethel that would be what they would start you at, a single guy with no real debt could get by on it. I sent them a resume, and I have a lot more that 1500 hours logged. Almost 1000 PIC in the 208, with the amount of pilots on the streets unemployed, Its a ball park number. I am sure that if they offered 10 a flight hour they would have a few hundred pilots willing to fly for that. Better than nothing as they say.

I have a ATP Single and Multiengine land, 19,000 total time
    Commercial Single engine sea plane
    CFI, CFII, MEI, AGI, IGI, former Check Airman and Airline ground school instructor.
    BE-1900, EMB-120, B-737, A-320 Types
    50+ GA aircraft varieties flown, several tail draggers.

Born in Alaska but only a few hundred hours of Alaska time. Still have two sisters, one brother and several cousins between Anchorage and Homer.

I would walk away from 17 years of airline service for a full time Alaska job in or around the Anchorage area in a second. The only problem is finding year round work to support my family, hobbies and life style.

I have talked with a few operators in the past that would pay around 50K for a five month season on turbine or radial powered floats but the rest of the year would require scrounging around doing odd jobs. Hard to make the move for a part time job with kids to raise.

When I was younger and single I would have made the move and worried about the pay later.

I did a lot of year round flying in Alaska, but you are not going to do it in places where you want to live. Places like Bethel. Flying 206's 207's PA-32's and Navajo's. You work hard for the money you earn, and well you said it. Tough for a Married fellow. I found flying helicopters to be a little better deal but not much. I fly both and after 35 years of it, I have little to show for it. There is no money in flying pistons or light turbines either airplanes or helicopters. I stick with it because, well its all I know.

Amen brother.

Default tough business

this is a tough business, the only thing is you got to love flying more than about anything else and go for what you want out of it. The money is in heavy iron, but you will live on the road. Lighter A/C payless but you can get home more often. pick your posion. As far as your question about starting pay , you may end up taking anything, then you make contacts and move to a better job. The catch is you have to have a job to make the contacts, so I hate to say this but don't ask just go for it. Good luck, and enjoy the ride

Like most anything, its not so much what you know as who you know. Being prepared when an opportunity arises or just luck to be in the right place at the right time. A lot of people think they need to be pilots for whatever reason, and learning and overcoming challenges is praiseworthy, but if it doesn't come fairly naturally, don't push it. If want it to be a hobby, don't screw up and make it a career.

Seems like I am not the only one with the Jaded outlook on it!

Algonquin. What do you think? I moved here from connecticut because of my love of aviation. Spent thousands of dollars to get all my ratings. I came up here with 550 hours (which I know isn't much) to endure my dream of flying. I also have my electrical licenses. I have a few "older" guys telling me to just get a job on the slope and make money and fly on my spare time, but I love flying so much. I just want to try it out for a while. What do you think? Should I just get up on the slope and start making the big bucks as an electrician or should I stick with my dream and try flying? I went to a dozin operators in alaska here and they all told me they are hiring in the fall. What advice can you give a poor 27 year old fella?

What can I say, at 27 , I would fly anything anywhere and I never looked at the money. When I retired at 60, my last T/O in a 76 was just as much fun as my first in a AA1B. You'll never be happy unless you do it, but don't say nobody warned you! My favorite was a F/O said to me-"the diference between you and me is I do this for a liveing , this is your hobbie". I would fly the fall and work the winter on the slope then back out flying in the spring, things slow down in the winter and money to live on is good. I did construction between jobs in the early years. When it not fun anymore you'll know it time to move on. Good luck, Tom

Default Bush flying

Thanks for replying. I appreciate your advice. I will def. take it into consideration.
    Fly Safe

No luck with corporate jobs?

I'm young and single. My passion is flying and it has been for as long as I can remember. I love every second of it. From planning to flying. I can't get enough of it. If it doesn't work and I don't get anywhere in five years well then I'll move on but atleast I can say I did it. Right?

Like Nike says, Just Do It. I work with guys who fly for the company benefit package and have zero passion for it. Hate the job and they're basically miserable to work with. Passion is really big in this profession IMO. You're not going to get rich but what is important to you?

Keep building Alaska time and you'll find a gig somewhere. Good luck.