Thread: saltwater sockeye techniques

Default saltwater sockeye techniques

anyone want to offer up a proven & productive means of taking sockeye in the salt other than the seward spinner or large net?

Take me and I'll show you....
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Here's how they do it in Lake Washington. It supposedly works in B.C. as well.
    http://wdfw.wa.gov/factshts/sockeye.htm

Basically a bare red hook trolled slowly behind a flasher. It is supposed to imitate krill and other sockeye fodder. Other people use the super small hootchies behind the flasher.

To be honest, I am not sure how much patience I would have trolling a bare hook but it has worked for people I know.

Talked once with some old (OLD) comm trollers off the west coast of vancouver island. They ran as many flashers in the water as they could hang, with the flashers towing "squirt" size hoochies in pink, with about half the tentacles removed. The bottom rigs ALWAYS got bit.

For a sporty, if you were serious about this, I'd make up four dummy flasher assemblies consisting of a plain jane 11" red or green with silver embossed hotspot-type flasher, 10' - 15' of 150# mono, and a longline clip. These you clip 7' and 15' above your downrigger release. Then, tie another 11" hotspot onto your line with a 33" 40# leader, the hoochie, a bead to fill the hoochie head, barrel swivel, and a smallish stainless mustad or eagle claw siwash (3/0 or 4/0, maybe smaller). Troll relatively shallow, with the ball 30' - 40' down.

This seemed to be the routine for schooled, actively feeding sockeye off the coast. If you're trying to intercept fish in cook inlet heading to the river, then things might be different.

Default Always found that....

This seems to produce....

Good results....

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

AlaskaHippie - Nice technique!

That does seem effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you can’t tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    This seems to produce....

Good results....

I was curious about this and commercial fishing: I don't see any blood, is there just no time to bleed the catch?
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Quote Originally Posted by Vek View Post
    Talked once with some old (OLD) comm trollers off the west coast of vancouver island. They ran as many flashers in the water as they could hang, with the flashers towing "squirt" size hoochies in pink, with about half the tentacles removed. The bottom rigs ALWAYS got bit.

For a sporty, if you were serious about this, I'd make up four dummy flasher assemblies consisting of a plain jane 11" red or green with silver embossed hotspot-type flasher, 10' - 15' of 150# mono, and a longline clip. These you clip 7' and 15' above your downrigger release. Then, tie another 11" hotspot onto your line with a 33" 40# leader, the hoochie, a bead to fill the hoochie head, barrel swivel, and a smallish stainless mustad or eagle claw siwash (3/0 or 4/0, maybe smaller). Troll relatively shallow, with the ball 30' - 40' down.

This seemed to be the routine for schooled, actively feeding sockeye off the coast. If you're trying to intercept fish in cook inlet heading to the river, then things might be different.
    yep, this is very close to what we do fishing for sockeye in babine lake the 2 week in august,,,,,,10-12 inch flasher...36 inch leader, 2 orange beads, then a #2 Red hook.....troll about 1.5 m/hr about 40-50 feet on down riggers!!...i think that the trick is to watch the hook and make sure it has some action but not TOO much action..sockeye are said to be lazy??!!.good luck..larry

29' Wooldridge Pilot House, Twin 200 Hp Etecs! "...Pez Gordo..."
    18' Wooldridge Sport with 200 hp sport jet. "...Little Pez..."

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default if you dont have the patience

If you cant wait for a strike on a bare hook or wait at a gillnet, look for jumpers and round haul em.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com