Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggest a 9wt reel in the $200-300 range. Guru/Konic any good? Any other ideas?

Default Suggest a 9wt reel in the $200-300 range. Guru/Konic any good? Any other ideas?

Looking for a 9 wt reel for the wife as her birthday is coming up soon. Interested in the Lamson Guru and Konic but don't know much about them. Open to any other ideas of course. Hoping to find something that will pair up nicely with a Scott A3 9wt rod. Thanks for any suggestions.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Guru. Hands down best in class.

I was given a Guru 3.5 2 years ago with the order to "test to destruction". I still have it, and it works awesome - so do the other 2 that I bought.

Hundreds of steelhead, hundreds of coho, freshwater, brackish water (with a rinse)...the Guru is a GREAT value.

It's hard to beat the total value of a Ross CLA.

Love my Guru 3.5

Quote Originally Posted by G_Smolt View Post

I was given a Guru 3.5 2 years ago with the order to "test to destruction". I still have it, and it works awesome -

Coming from you, that says plenty. Thanks man.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Highly recommend the Lamson Guru. I have three in various sizes and all have worked very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    It's hard to beat the total value of a Ross CLA.
    Agreed. . . .

Dan
    Don't be so cheap!!!!!!
    Get her an Abel Super 8 in one of these pretty colours!!!!
    Yeah I know the spare spool is more than you want to pay for a whole reel, but dangit man, she yo wife!!!!

http://www.abelreels.com/pages/finishes_new.htm

http://www.abelreels.com/pages/super.htm

Thanks Dave, now the wife is going to want me to fork out the extra cash for a better reel if Dan buys Carrie one.

Galvan. Any of them. The Torque is very nice. Abel??? I thought only posers from NYC used Abel reels.

The difference between the guru and the konic is only the reel construction. The drag systems are both identical. The konic has parts that are cast and parts machined while the guru is the cheepest fully machined reel Lamson makes. Also the guru has a better coating. Nothing wrong with the konic but the guru has tighter tolerances and better coating.

Quote Originally Posted by AKpegleg View Post
    Thanks Dave, now the wife is going to want me to fork out the extra cash for a better reel if Dan buys Carrie one.
    No problem buddy!!!!!

Just get her one of these.

I fish a Lightspeed 2 Hard Alox and a Velocity 3 Hard Alox and they are right about in your price range. Great reels. Great construction, asthetically pleasing, lightweight, and well built!

Proudly Serving Since 1997
    The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"

Quote Originally Posted by AKpegleg View Post

It sure as hell won't be an Abel. $500 reel with a $300 paint job? Either way, an $800 reel would take the place of my airfare to Alaska. Crazy stuff. Dave is joking I hope. Hard to tell with Cannucks

The Guru is looking really good right now. About $220 and spare spools are $100. Not cheap, but sounds like something that will last a while. I wasted lots of money when I got into flyfishing and find it cheaper to buy something decent first time around at this point. A side benefit, the Guru 3.5 only weighs 6.5 ounces, something that the wife would benefit from. Also the drag has a good reputation, a good thing when targeting false albacore, silvers, etc.. Lots of good suggestions here and I appreciate it.

Dan

Default To guys, it's function...value..., but to the ladies....

Orvis-good value in this price range: The first batch of reels I bought for me, my wife, and daughter were Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor reels in 5 and 8 wt sizes. I've fished my 8 wt 5 years now. The last 3, I've been hoping it would act up to give me excuse to trade up (since seeing how well friends' Ross and Sage reels worked), but it just keeps humming. Nothing falls off (like my first, Fly Logic reel) or makes funny noise or fails or traps line - just smooth, dependable function. Aesthetically, I think my friends' reels (and the Guru too from what I see) have more appeal, but must give credit to the Battenkill LA's. Good value then, and still working fine.

Engraving: I had the ladies' reels engraved - and that feature turned out to be their favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by AKGrayling View Post
    The difference between the guru and the konic is only the reel construction. The drag systems are both identical. The konic has parts that are cast and parts machined while the guru is the cheepest fully machined reel Lamson makes. Also the guru has a better coating. Nothing wrong with the konic but the guru has tighter tolerances and better coating.
    Thanks for the comparison. I do appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    Orvis-good value in this price range: The first batch of reels I bought for me, my wife, and daughter were Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor reels in 5 and 8 wt sizes. I've fished my 8 wt 5 years now. The last 3, I've been hoping it would act up to give me excuse to trade up (since seeing how well friends' Ross and Sage reels worked), but it just keeps humming. Nothing falls off (like my first, Fly Logic reel) or makes funny noise or fails or traps line - just smooth, dependable function. Aesthetically, I think my friends' reels (and the Guru too from what I see) have more appeal, but must give credit to the Battenkill LA's. Good value then, and still working fine.

Engraving: I had the ladies' reels engraved - and that feature turned out to be their favorite.
    Thanks Dwight. I have two 4wt and two 6wt Battenkill reels and they are simple and durable on these wt rods. Never had any experiene with larger Orvis reels though. Good to hear yours have held up well.

Default Galvan

Check out some Galvan reels. I fish the Rush on my 6wt and I love it; smooth drag and a quietly different outgoing click. I actually just toured their plant in sonora Ca a couple of weeks ago and I'm even more impressed. Just a small family run operation with everything done right here in California. I'll be buying more if these reels in the future myself.

Default my various opinions

a) guru/konic any good? so-so, I don't like it, myself.

b) galvans. only the torque has enough drag area for big fish. Some people don't like the drag adjustment, which requires about 3 turns to tighten down. lightweight and strong. The backing doesn't sit flat on the inside of the arbor, if that bugs you.

c) abel. best reel made by a very long ways, start-up, strength of drag, smoothness, clicker, design, workmanship; everything is top notch. The spools on most models don't pop off like other brands. Traditional cork drag. Minor amount of annual maintenance; some minor parts that can be lost if you are clumsy when taking apart. expensive. not lightweight.

d) battenkill large arbor. very cheap. has big paddle handle which I like. Drag is smooth, but there is too much freeplay at the lowest drag setting - almost goes into free spool. Maybe there's some way to adjust this. very lightweight.

e) ross CLA . I do not like the drag on this reel at all; it is not smooth - sticky. just don't like it. You could be 4 or 5 of these for one Abel,

I will second stevesch comment on the Ross CLA. I bought one about 2 years ago and I can't find a good drag setting. It either runs too easy or not at all.

I do like the Lamsons though. I have one on my back up 8wt and it does a great job on reds in open water on the kenai.

I must say though for the price my 8wt Cortland precision is by far the best reel I own. I can't comment on Galvan or Abel because I can't justify spending the money on them. But from what I hear they are excellent reels.

http://www.cortlandline.com/products/default.asp?id=128

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast