Thread: browning BLR 270wsm

Default browning BLR 270wsm

am thinking of getting one of these. never seen them before and just wondered if anyone hunts with one. Seems reliable and looks like it should be accurate. I also like the how the action works. pretty slick. just have not heard much about them. New ones with aluminum reciever and stainless steel. second choice looks like a beneli R1 with comfortec stock and interchangeable barrels. any info is well taken. thanks

Smile Blr...

I have a BLR chambered in .300 WSM. For a lever action gun, I like it. Can't say I ever really liked lever actions for hunting, but this one is quality. I would rather have an A Bolt or a Remington 700 personally, but if lever action is what you're after...this is a sweet shooting, smooth gun. I have gone on a couple moose, caribou, and black bear hunts with it...held the shells just right It shoots tight groups at 200 yds...about as tight as my dads old Savage model 99 chambered in .300 savage.(Another lever action) If you have any more questions, ask...

AZinAK

sounds reassuring. i was thinking of the blr for fast follow up shots on bears and multiple shots on deer. just thought it would be faster than a bolt, and more reliable than an auto loader. plus i like the looks of them. still just thinking and looking before i buy one yet. if i have some ?'s later on about them i will send a pm. have a good one.

Default akrstabout

I have never owned a BLR; however, I was doing some research on them a while back on www.24hourcampfire.com and came up with quite a bit of info. Many on the campfire forum complained about some synthetic bushings inside the receiver. Others complained of jamming. These folks seemed very knowledgeable and I would recommend you join this forum (it is free) and then search the hunting rifle section for info. It seemed to me that the major complaint was the quality of the components in the rifle and not its shooting ability. Also, there are big differences between certain year groups of BLR's. Apparently the ones that were made prior to 1981 were made of steel and the new ones are aluminum alloy. I did take a look at the same rifle you looked at (except this one was 325wsm which really intriqued me) and it looked pretty cool with the stainless and laminated wood. Hope this helps.

Default Benelli R1 with ComforTech

I have a Benelli R1 with ComforTech Leupold VX-L 3.5-10 x 50mm (B&C) using low mounts. Chamber in 300wm. I really like the rifle. Soft recoil, I can stay in the scope thru the shot. Try that with most belted magnums and you end up with scope eye. Weight is 10 lbs ready to hunt with 14 rounds, sling, scope and ammo carrier on the stock. You have to keep an Auto loader clean. I have had no trouble with mine. I get better than a MOA at 100 yards. Took A ram @400 this year and the follow up shot made the differance on this Ram. Rained everyday of my sheep hunt and in the hurry to get into a shooting postion my range finder got fogged and I made a ranging shot and quickly adjusted and rolled him down the hill. I fired 2 shots before my partner could fire one. My moose was @ 325 yards and I give him 4 Barnes X bullets in the boiler room. All 4 within a six inch circle. Plus he was moving after the first shot. The last critter added to the list was a Bou and I'm still not sure who was running faster Him or I. Shot him @ about 60 yards. I have a weak back so I wanted something that I could chase bears with and still be able to tolerate the recoil. After spending over 20 years in the Army firing automatics, I have a trust in them. No they are not as reliable as a bolt. But mine don't make me feel like I have been punched in the nose every time I pull the trigger either. I only weight about 150 so I can't take heavy recoil. Because the rifle is a joy to fire, I shoot it allot and I can put round after round into the 325 yard target at Cushman range. Check out Bennelli's site http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21 they have an R-1 forum. Some have had trouble with accuracy and with jams. I found that it likes some ammo better, just like most rifles I have fired. Plus you can change the barrel and shoot differant game. I might get a barrel I can use for coyotes and such. Also the trigger is too stiff. I had Gary at Artic work it for me. I took 3 animals with it this year and hope to add some bears to the list this spring.

Guns are an individual choice. Many ways to do the same thing.

Happy spending

Steve

Default Think i am sold

on the beneli. Little more money but hey, what the heck. Have not priced them here in anchorage but know they will be more. Plus i would get the same as steve, 300 wm, have one in a ruger and so i would not need extra bullets. the blr in the style i want doesn't come in a 300wm. was thinking of an auto so when i buy that is what i will get, maybe with a ziess conquest though. although i do like my leupold scope. just gotta make a decision and buy them. thanks everyone for the info and websites. Nice shooting steve. lucky man.

Default BLR

Hunted PWS for Blacktail with a 300wsm stainless blr, Loved it, Saltwater was harsh and the gun held up. I prefer a Lever over a bolt for faster follow-up shots. The stainless BLRs are shot show specials, the 2004 shot show edition has the straight stock and the 2006 has the pistol grip. You can get the 2006 in a 325 WSM.

Default how is the 325wsm

yeah seen that but not sure how it is on recoil and over all performance. was thinking 270 just because low recoil and powerfull enough for what i would use it for. looked like the 325 was compared to a 338. it is a good round will consider it. still looking at other forums trying to figure out what to get. thinking of the blr again. just because it is stainless and looks cool. have you or anyone shot the 325wsm?

Default BLR

I considered the 325wsm BLR until I found out that federal will not be loading it and I don't care for the winchester loads but Browning now has the 338 winmag listed for one of their stainless models, I'm hoping for one in a blued/ wood model...........perhaps. If you reload you certainly can't go wrong with the Good ol' 358 winchester, it will take anything in north america without all the recoil.