Thread: Boats and rocks

Default Boats and rocks

Boats and rocks:

When a boat hits a rock the rocks always wins if you’re lucky you have very little damage for the times you end up with a hole in your boat and need to repair the hole to get home? It hard to have everything you need to fix you’re boat so my list should be a good place to start.

Here are some items that can be use to seal a leak.
    Shoe Glue
    Goo
    GE Silicone II
    Toilet ring wax.
    Tacky Tape (Camper Supply)
    Gorilla Duct Tape

Because the hole is under presser when running you need to place a cover over it. Very thin Alum like pop cans or Alum roofing will work and can be cut with a scissors.
    You may need some special tools like a:
    Battery power drill and bits.
    Pop rivet and tool
    Self tapping screw or sheet metal screws.
    Hammer

Default Interesting!

Having something to shield a tear or puncture against the pressure of a boat under way makes sense, but am assuming you're meaning to put the shield on the outside so it's being forced against the hull. How're you looking at getting it onto the bottom of the hull (unless we're talking a smaller boat that can be flipped)?

Never really considered anything beyond what could be used to stop a small leak. Now you've got me thinking about it, especially for those trips where you're a long way from external help.

Will be interested in hearing what others carry as well or have actually had to put to use to get them home?

Brian

mix it up like 2 part bubble gum, spread it on, let it harden, goes on underwater.

A-788 Splash Zone Compound
    A Two-Component, 100% Solids (No Volatile Solvents) Epoxy-Polyamide Mastic is a protective coating used against corrosion of metals, as well as erosion and deterioration of concrete and wood used above and below the waterline, in splash zones. It is not only used on steel or wood pilings, and pier supports, but also as a coating repair for boat hulls and buoys, on bridge abutments, and on any surface subject to erosion and corrosion in salt or fresh water. It is used for many patching and grouting applications that are not submerged, and on surfaces which subsequently are buried in soil. Features:Can be mixed and applied underwater. Will cure underwater as well as in air. Adheres to any clean sound surface, either wet or dry, including aluminum, galvanized steel, steel, concrete, wood, fiberglass and existing coatings. Cures to an extremely hard coating which is abrasion and impact resistant, and which will substantially retard further erosion or corrosion. Sold as complete kits with primer and catalyst, mixed 1:1, Mixed color is olive green

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Small case containing:

razor knife
    JB Weld
    wire brush
    duct tape
    nurf football
    2 nurf foam darts
    innertube and spray foam
    2 toilet wax rings
    battery operated drill with socket
    associated metal 'patches'
    bolts, nuts, washers
    Cabela's Aluminum Boat Patch and/or Dura Fix
    small hand-held torch

You can also use your flotation cushion for larger holes.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Don't forget the pig putty!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Don't forget the pig putty!
    Who would have thought my 5,000th post would be about pig putty...

For an aluminum boat... a hammer!

Sobie2

Fast set 3m 5200 would be good as well.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default Second nod for Z-Spar

A friend who runs a commercial tug recommended that we carry this on our boat for emergency repairs...

dan

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
    Having something to shield a tear or puncture against the pressure of a boat under way makes sense, but am assuming you're meaning to put the shield on the outside so it's being forced against the hull. How're you looking at getting it onto the bottom of the hull (unless we're talking a smaller boat that can be flipped)?
    Putting the shield on the outside would be the best, if for some reason you canít do what you can. The bottom line is youíre not going any where until you stop the boat from leaking or slow it down so your bilge pumps can keep up. Run the boat on shore, cut trees to make a crib, and a pry bar to lift the boat, or dig a trench under the boat or work under water, do what ever you need to get home.

Where I run the rocks are not sharp so my biggest problem would be ripping out the transom.

I carry a hi-lift jack and a shovel; they have save my butt more than once mainly getting unstuck.

Your sock and a ball-pin hammer.

(been there and done that to many times )

How about a heavy duty blue tarp. Slip it under the boat from front to back far enough to cover the hole. Tie it up on the sides and the front.
    It ain't purty, but it will keep the water out. If it wears a hole in the tarp, you can shift it without even getting wet.

Default Third Nod for Splashzone

Yes Definitely the Z-spar Splashzone compound is THE STUFF, it's miracle cure for all kinds of problems, cures underwater if necessary, sets up rock hard but can be chipped away later with a screwdriver. Not too temp sensitive to cure....Bonds really well to all materials with a tough seal. Keeps well after cans are opened for years. I always have that stuff on the boat.

I once had a chance to help a guy who had a "stream of fuel" leak off his fuel pump on an old Volvo while far from town, pulled out Splashzone and molded it around the fitting area that was leaking as we had no other way to replumb it. Waited a few hours as I recall, might have been overnight, but it held magnificently. I had to hound him to "get that Splashzone patch off there and fix your fuel pump," later in town. he was so happy with how cheaply and (seemingly)permanently we had fixed it. But he was able to cleanly remove the "Zone Patch" and get the correct fitting on there later.

Also amazing patch/cover for net snags around the boat, etc. That's Great Stuff
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !