Thread: Part time job

Default Part time job

Question for you guys. I was tossing around the idea of getting a part time job in maintenance. I'm an F-22 maintainer for the Air Force so my troubleshooting skills are pretty darn good. I'm working on an A&P and FAA cert. What's the possibilities? Anybody know anyone looking for some part time help?
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Possibilities are there. Go for it!

I know they're there, I was trying to develop a contact maybe that would turn me on to someone that might be looking for some help.

Stop by the Elmendorf Aero Club and talk to Kenton. He's a retired military mechanic and now works at the club maintaining their aircraft. He would be a good resource on how to make the transition from the military world to the civilian world here in Alaska. He should also have some contacts in other shops around town. You have to remember that even with an A&P there's a big difference between military hardware and Cessna or DeHavilland. There's also a big difference in practices and techniques between those two worlds. Having said that anyone will tell you that mechanics (especially good ones) are always in much more demand than pilots. Kenton is also a rabid fisherman. Good luck.

Default Another idea

Raptor_1,

How about teaching your skills to the next generation? You may even consider an adjunct teaching position in aviation maintenance at UAA. If they don't have a position advertised, at least let the Division Chair know that you are available to teach a class. It pays well and you get a free college credit for every credit you teach.

Quote Originally Posted by tralika View Post
    Stop by the Elmendorf Aero Club and talk to Kenton. He's a retired military mechanic and now works at the club maintaining their aircraft. He would be a good resource on how to make the transition from the military world to the civilian world here in Alaska. He should also have some contacts in other shops around town. You have to remember that even with an A&P there's a big difference between military hardware and Cessna or DeHavilland. There's also a big difference in practices and techniques between those two worlds. Having said that anyone will tell you that mechanics (especially good ones) are always in much more demand than pilots. Kenton is also a rabid fisherman. Good luck.

Thanks for the pointers and the name drop. I'm also planning on taking my ground school out at the aero club sometime also so I'll have to keep an eye out for Kenton. I hear what your saying about the difference between military aircraft vs civilian, but civilian aircraft are no where near as complicated as an F-22 and my skills and maintenance practices would transition nicely. I'm fairly certain I could troubleshoot a prop job with no problem, just need the certs.

Coaldust,

Great idea! I never even thought about teaching in the civilian sector with my military training, but that would be an interesting idea. Before I decided to make the switch from active duty to reserve, I was interested in going back to Texas to teach technical school to the new guys coming into the Air Force so this might be an option. I'm more or less looking for a little supplemental income and something to get me out of the house in the winter doing something I enjoy.