Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homer Lingcod

Default Homer Lingcod

I will be up in a week. My buddy has a place in Homer and a halibut boat. He has fished out of Homer for a few years hitting the close in chicken patches but we would like to hit some lings this summer. How far out does one need to go? I have a few dozen jig heads and a ton of boneyard tails so we are ready to go. Any pointers would be very much appreciated!

From what I've heard you need to head out to the mouth of the bay, and perhaps beyond. That's pushing it for smaller boats as you can get big seas in short order.

need to get to the chugach islands and beyond for lingcod, I am going out tommorow possibly, if the weather is good enough I may make a run out for some lings

How far is it to the Chugach Isalnds from Homer? Thanks Guys!

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    How far is it to the Chugach Isalnds from Homer? Thanks Guys!
    50 miles...give or take...the last 15 being the dangerous ones.

This came from the Elizabeth Island area yesterday (Friday) on a 24 oz. lead head and Boneyard "glow" curly tail:

44 inches and 36 pounds. I think I hear the dinner bell ringing.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    This came from the Elizabeth Island area yesterday (Friday) on a 24 oz. lead head and Boneyard "glow" curly tail:
    Actually it was a white curly tail. I think the glow only comes in the smaller sizes.

How far are the Elizebeth Islands out from Homer?

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    How far are the Elizebeth Islands out from Homer?
    They are the Chugach Islands, but Elizabeth is the closest. It's a good 40-45 miles down there. The fishing is DEF. worth the trip.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    They are the Chugach Islands, but Elizabeth is the closest. It's a good 40-45 miles down there. The fishing is DEF. worth the trip.
    Yup, yup and yup fer sure!

Is the ling cod worthy of eating, or just a price catch due to its size? I want to catch one just because they can get huge, but have never heard if they are worth eating or not.

Thanks...AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

Some say they are the best eating bottom fish. I'd say it's a tossup between yellow eye rock fish and lings, both excellent eating.

Quote Originally Posted by AkBillyBow View Post
    Is the ling cod worthy of eating, or just a price catch due to its size? I want to catch one just because they can get huge, but have never heard if they are worth eating or not.

Thanks...AkBillyBow
    I like Lings better than Butts.

Proudly Serving Since 1997
    The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Some say they are the best eating bottom fish. I'd say it's a tossup between yellow eye rock fish and lings, both excellent eating.
    Agreed. Had yelloweye last night... ling tonight!
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Default 2nd elizabeth Is....

and curly tails!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Right up there

Yep, Ling Cod are Right Up There with the best of 'em.

Down in the Pacific NW, Oregon Wash, they command some of the top prices in the Fresh Fish market. Most Pac NW folks I know just rave on and on about Lings

They seem to have a bit different texture than say Yelloweye or Halibut but is Definitely worth keeping,

The High End market down south demands that they are Fresh not Frozen if that means anything to you, they don't pay much for Alaskan Ling in comparison as it's hard to get down there Fresh?
    So, I'd keep on ice, filet it up and eat some before freezing just to check it out
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Default okay, yearly mercury soapbox time....

lings, and especially yelloweye are high in mercury and should not be eaten by pregnant women, women of childbearing age who intend to have families, or children.
    here is a link to the state advisory in post #6:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=73322
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Dave, you beat me to it by a few minutes.

Please fellas, if your wife is pregnant or is planning to become pregnant within the next few years, don't feed her ling cod. Also do not allow your children to have more than a few servings per year. The detrimental effects of mercury are well documented and quite serious.

Also one of the bigger reasons to eat the smaller halibut...they are young and haven't had much time to build up mercury in their systems.

On a different note, that is a long run from Homer and the water around the point can get nasty depending on wind/waves/tidal action. Be careful, and if you get worried, play it safe.

Default Only the Old Ones

That's interesting reading Dave, thanks.
    I went there and the really interesting thing was near the end in the comparison tables, in the "Unlimited" area as in fish that can be eaten with abandon I guess at the bottom is listed
    Lingcod < 29.9 inches !!
    (but then isn't that close to the minimum length that are legal to keep? Can F&G switch that around maybe???)
    Guidelines for 30-39inch Lingcod, up to 4meals a week.
    So it's only the Big ones that carry the dangerous levels of Mercury and the State themselves say go ahead at Unlimited levels with the smaller ones.
    Just don't eat those BIG ones. Take a picture and cut that leader.

I was going to mention also that the really big ones are something like 35 years old as well, really not worth killing if you're doing fine with other stuff. It's not That Good, in comparison to Halibut or P Cod.

That's really an interesting read tho, thanks for puttin it in there, They also mention No Large Halibut as well, which happens to agree with my opinion that we should all "Leave the Trophy Halibut in the Ocean" as they are the future breeders, etc.
    Not a popular idea but this info may help some to catch on to "Chicken Farmin," is where it's at with the Mighty Halibut

I think I've attached the link here(below), Highly Recommended to read it all.

ON THE OTHER HAND, If your wife isn't pregnant or planning same, ..... you do realize what that Coffee is doing to you, don't you? ......or those fumes coming out of that gas pump nozzle????
    Or not......

mercury info.pdf (955.6 KB, 36 views)
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast