Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want to be SkeeterSkeltonclone

Default I want to be SkeeterSkeltonclone

A good friend of mine from down Arizona way sent me one of Skeeter's finest writings titled "Good Friends, Good Guns and Good Whiskey!

He has no idea that I have almost purchased that book a couple of times but didn't because it brings good jingle.

Skeeter and I share the same birthday and he wrote his first article the year I was whelped! Elmer was born on the wrong day and probably slept in when I was born. Both were into long range handgun shooting but Skeeter was more in favor of the 38 caliber than was Elmer. I cut my eyeteeth shooting the 38 caliber!

Sorry Elmer, sorry grandpa but it's Skeeter's turn!

Thanks again AZ

I knew you'd like that...and you deserve it Bro! Anybody here'd tell ya that too. Have you got to any of the "me and joe" stories yet?
    The USA would be a better place if there were more Elmer Kieths, Skeeter Skeltons, and Bill Jordans in this day and age.

I sure miss those values, in this walmartselfphoneI-podplanetmoronstimiluspackagehopechangechangehope day and age.

You know they are both dead right?
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Not true...their spirits live on in a chosen few! Just like Bill Jordan and Jeff Cooper.
    They will NEVER really die until they are forgotten/fade away...which is NEVER as long as I'm alive!

I haven't read that book, nor have I read Elmer's... but both have been on my list for years. going out to Amazon now. Thanks for the reminder :-)

Quote Originally Posted by 1buba View Post
    I haven't read that book, nor have I read Elmer's... but both have been on my list for years. going out to Amazon now. Thanks for the reminder :-)
    They remind me of my childhood in Alaska, Bro!
    Perfect books for a cold Alaska night, or to even pass to the children. (to teach values)
    I started reading Skeeter when I must have been 6 or 7, and I had a pretty decent cartridge collection by the time I was 9 (to include a 4ga shell and a few other obscure cartridges).
    They remind me of how I grew up and how lucky I was.

Is there a town named Ruger, Alaska yet? If not...there should be.

Quote Originally Posted by arizonaguide View Post
    They remind me of my childhood in Alaska, Bro!
    Perfect books for a cold Alaska night, or to even pass to the children.
    I started reading Skeeter when I must have been 6 or 7, and I had a pretty decent cartridge collection by the time I was 9 (to include a 4ga shell and a few other obscure cartridges).
    They remind me of how I grew up and how lucky I was.
    Looks like i'll have to wait... Sixguns is going for $150!!!
    Still a good reminder.

Quote Originally Posted by 1buba View Post
    Looks like i'll have to wait... Sixguns is going for $150!!!
    Still a good reminder.
    Get 'em when ya can Bro...worth EVERY penny!
    But believe me...I know what you mean about being tight these days.
    Call it CHANGE you can believe in.

Memory is one thing but the man is alive and I don't want to think of him as memories.EKC should be working on being someones else memories many years down the road. I do much enjoy reading about the old boys though and I'm glad to have met a few.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Default skeet

If you like that one, read "Hoglegs, Hipshots, and Jalapenos."

An old saying (and a tasking) I'm fond of:

Quote Originally Posted by R. Boehm
    I guess we are all going slowly through the completion of our tour of duty.
    Any foot prints you may have made, will be washed away with the next wave.
    Life is loaned to you, live it, love it, for the joy of what you love, and whom you love.
    Leave your ego, status, and possessions hanging on the world's quarter deck because you are going out with what you came here with; hopefully you will be a positive memory to at least a few.

Read a book on American History; then pass it along to a teenager. Help them know what freedom is, tell them of the sacrifices of our forefathers Then explain to them what caused the fall of the Athenian Empire. Find a copy of Professor Tylers letter.

Tell them of the sacrifices Americans have made for the people of the world who wish to be free. Tell them about our service personnel who have made a commitment to freedom pledging all including their life for people we do not know because it is the right thing to do.

Help them to learn to cover their heart when the American flag passes and to stand as it represents all our country was created for and all the men and women who have made the supreme sacrifice. Teach them to think and to become informed, to avoid the brain washing attempts of mass control. Teach them to research, become knowledgeable, informed, and appreciative of that fragile flower called freedom; for once lost it can only be regained by great courage and greater sacrifice.

This is indeed a challenging task, with success however small so very much worthwhile.

Default Got this email from a Buddy...

Reminded me of a Skeeter story...
    How I came to revere all life.

I was eleven years old growing up in the Allegheny Mountains of Pennsylvania. Our home was miles from town and while we were MUCH better off than we were five or ten years earlier, we were still poor. Many days were spent just hitting rocks with a stick and pretending that I was a baseball player.

While I was pretending that the bases were loaded with a full count, I noticed a large bird that I had never seen before fly up not ten yards from me and land on the trunk of a red oak. I threw my “baseball” into the air whacked it with my “bat”. That stone went zinging right by that bird and he didn’t even flinch. After I was finished rounding the bases and bowing and raising my cap to the “crowd” I noticed that that bird was still pretty much oblivious to my presence.

I picked up a stone and just kind of lobbed it in the bird’s general direction. It never flinched. I became fascinated with this fairly large bird that I could not recall seeing before that simply seemed to not give a **** that I was there. I picked up stone after stone and lobbed it at the bird, and then I actually began to aim at the bird. I came real close (within an inch or so) and the bird hopped off from the trunk of the tree onto the ground. I began to get kind of mad that the bird just wasn’t afraid of me. I picked up several larger stones and began actually throwing them to hit the bird hard. This bird would just move a little away from where the stone hit and refused to fly away. I became incensed at the nerve of this bird and I picked up a very large flat piece of slate and I whipped it at the bird kind of like a Frisbee. It landed a few feet in front of the bird and then it skipped twice and on the second skip… it hit the bird!

The bird flopped around for a few seconds. I was stunned. I couldn’t believe that I had actually hit the bird. My heart sank and I began to bawl like a baby when I realized what I had done. I went to the bird and I picked it up and I was franticly trying to figure out how I could get it to a veterinarian… but it was too late. I had committed a horrible sin against nature! I had killed out of anger! I was distraught, and so deeply ashamed of myself. I wanted desperately to go to my grandmother and tell her what I had done, I wanted her to tell me that I wasn’t an evil little *******, but I just couldn’t bring myself to tell my grandmother who loved nature that I had destroyed one of its creatures just because.

The bottom line is that I wasn’t sure that she would tell me what I wanted to hear. Just a few months before this incident she had caught me shooting blue jays with my bb gun. While she wasn’t a big fan of blue jays, she certainly didn’t approve of me shooting them just for fun. She made me gather them all up and prepare them for cooking. She told me that I must eat what I kill. She was one half Iroquois Indian and, while she didn’t follow much else from her heritage, she definitely shared their respect for nature. She let me off the hook before the birds actually went into the oven, but she made it clear to me that I must not kill for enjoyment. So here I am only a short time later and I’ve done this terrible thing. I just couldn’t bear to disappoint her again, and so I lived with the guilt. I quite literally felt sick for weeks and I beat myself up on a daily basis. Then one day my grandmother was talking about something completely unrelated when she said; “when we sin and we are truly sorry, God forgives us. We have only to forgive ourselves.”

I went to the library the next morning and discovered that the bird that I had killed was a Pileated Woodpecker. I forgave myself later that night and the next morning it was as if I noticed nature for the first time. I seen the beauty of the sunlight filtering through the leaves, I heard the song of nature all around me. It was an awakening to the wonder of nature. I have had a reverence for all life ever since. I believe in hunting, fishing and the raising of animals for food. However, I am hyper sensitive to clean, humane killing. I once went off on my brother-in-law for placing crawfish in a pot and then heating the water. Life is sacred…

I have both of the books mentioned. They are on my "read once a year list".

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    You know they are both dead right?
    So is Dale Earnhart and ever since his death every dirt track and go cart racer fights for the right have a number 3 on their machine! It's not because they want to crash head long into the wall and die like Dale did. They are doing their thing as a tribute to Dale Earnhart's accomplishments while alive!

Same thing only handguns instead of race cars!

Default Mauser Progress report...

So, you guys know the story right. EKC sent me a Rem700 (mint) to work on with my Dad. Won't take any $$$.

Then, before it even gets here...he says, NO that's too nice for a "project gun" and sends me Mauser. (they BOTH arrive a few days before father's day). Now realize...it's kinda hard to even tell this story without choking up a bit.
    ----------------------------------------------
    So, anyway I got this cool Mauser from EKC as a project gun to work on with my Dad. Here's how she went... She arrives a couple days before Father's day. PERFECT project gun. (my Dad's ALREADY blown away by the Rem700)...now this to work on (below). THIS was how she arrived...NOT too darn bad, would you say!?

Now, in all honesty it AINT in bad shape as it is. MANY folks would have said sweet and just left it as she was, a VERY good shape 30-06 shooter. But...not me. This is a "Father/Son project" after all.

So, I go into RESEARCH mode. I pull the old scope off, and start looking for markings and such, just to see what it really is. I know nothing about Mauser except that they are a GREAT controlled feed action. So, I go into FULL LEARNING mode. I fire off a few photos to the "experts".

And the word I get back is that it's a SWEET Sante Fe mauser (already knew that) and it was made around 1908-1924 timeframe by Mauser in Oberndorf, Germany for a brazillian contract (so it didn't shoot any allies in the war). It's a TRUE Mauser M98 action, so all the M98 accessories (like M98 synth stock) would fit. It was probably imported into the USA from Brazil in the 1960's and "sporterized" with a 30-06 barrel change (probably a modified 1903 springfield barrel, in fact) and sporter stock. The 8mm (original) bolt face is not modified and works fine with the 30-06 round, and had about the same pressures.

Pretty Dang SWEET. Now remember, EKC didn't even hardly look at this.
    He got it on gunbroker, and turned and sent it to me barely taking it out of the box.

So anyway, while I got the scope mounts off I do a bit of "touchup" refinishing where it's needed, and then add another RAIL to the existing rear site base (I mean it's just sitting there doing nothing, and all). Dad's watching me and supervising all this. Making supporting/fatherly comments (and probably wondering WTH I'm thinking, etc).

Meanwhile, I'm kinda thinking about maybe a Arizona Scout gun...with a forward scope. Or perhaps a Backup Iron site (AR-15 style). Either way I have 3 weaver rails now so I can reconfigure however I want whenever I want.

Then I go ahead and put a NEWER thrasher truck scope back on it.

So, now that I got the action all worked the way I want it, retouched etc...It's time to have Dad start on the stock refinish work (pretty darn good woodworker). Yes, he's been known to use a claw hammer on a screwdriver now and then.

But don't think that's from "inexperience"...he WAS an aircraft mechanic for over 40years. You know how those "last" screws can be. I'm holding...he's whacking. He got it (of course, just like a hundred other times) without having to drill it.

So after we got it FULLY apart, we cleaned up all the inside parts (refinished where necessary).

And time to start on the wood refinish.

So, we've GOT to get rid of that RED stock. I debated going with a synthetic...but what fun would THAT be...and so we dicided to refinish the existing stock in a DARK DARK walnut color.

So, first I sanded the stock. Had to remove ALL the old finish, and it's not in too bad a shape.

Then, just a matter of refinishing it in a DARK walnut stain.
    Dad supervised, while I put on a coat, rubbed it dry. Light sanding.
    Another coat, rub dry. repeat.

After 5 seperate handrubbed coats, it turned out pretty darn good...(thanks to Dad's teaching, both today...and over the LAST 40 years).

NOW that's starting to look like a Mauser sporter is supposed to look. It'll get a linseed finish in a couple days when the stains good and dry.

I was thinking of having us each do a TINY bit of scrollwork (very small) in a couple places...but I may just have a "commemorative coin" made for the stock (or the bottom of the grip). I'll post a picture after the linseed goes on, and the coin/scrollwork are done. This stockwork was all done today, and this is how she looks right now.

So, you can understand why I would take my (MOST) prized possesion in the world, and happily send it to the ONLY person in the world that I would even CONSIDER giving it too. (and I know would appreciate it for what it is).

The type of person RIGHT OUT of a Skeeter Skelton story.

I knew if he was an Elmer Kieth Clone...that he'd LOVE a good Skeeter book! He's already got the GOOD FRIEND part covered (yup!), and the GOOD GUNS part covered (I'll SAY!)...NOW I hope to be the one to share a GOOD Jack Daniels BEST with him (after a guided Grand Canyon trip with the family) when he gets down here.

My golf buddy (who has STOCK in the Jack Daniels company) has the exact bottle on reserve for the occasion.
    NOT the regular stuff.

SURE AS HECK describes Elmer Kieth Clone.

Nice stuff across the board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast