Thread: light sources

Default light sources

Hi I live in Iceland and have alot in common with you guys in AK, I have a chicken coop, well it's an old barn, where I have my chickens.
    My problem is it not wired, so I need to some how find a way to lighten up the place, any ideas??'
    "i am so smart, I am so smart, s-m-r-t.... I mean s-m-A-r-t."

Default Lights

Do you have access to propane? If so a propane light would be the ticket and it would run for ever on a 100lb. bottle.

Default small solar panel

small solar panel, battery and LED lights will run forever LED lights do not burn out.
    Ted Kennedyís car has killed more people than my gun!

Hi Big Bend, I have access to propane and it does sound a bit cheaper than the solarpanel.

Thumbs down Just say no to propane

We pay $10 for 1-# canisters here; definitely not cost-effective, and bulk price is going up. Right now we use a genset and CFLs. Solar will definitely be happening in the near future.
    "Ė Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

It would really help if we knew more information, like how many lights, and there wattage, distance to where power is available? Do you walk or drive to the barn? Is the barn warm in the winter?

and how much money can you spend?

I have an 8 by 8 foot chicken coop that I run a natural gas fixture from a camper in all winter and it works great for me. It adds heat, light, and makes a happy flock . . . it must be extremely cold out before the water dish makes any ice in there with that 2 mantle lamp burning. Back in 1981 in Arizona house I went solar and it was great down there . . . moved to Alaska in 2000 and solar lighting just sucks this far north. We donít have enough winter sun, what sun there is circles the sky making it next to useless without a tracking system, add cleaning snow from the panels and I find it more trouble than itís worth. I would image Iceland would be about the same story as Alaska, almost useless when you need it most.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

The barn is not insulated, I have to drive there, it's where i work.
    I am planning to build a small coop, you know easy to move and such.
    The size about 6x10 and insulated have maybe 2 bulbs of different size, and perhaps heating of some kind?

My suggestion would be to use two (cheep) 12v lights that you can find at a camper supply, auto store, or wall mart. Use your car/truck 12v battery for power, when you leave unplug the power cord from the vehicle.

oh that's just genius thank's moose