Thread: Heading out to Valdez tomorrow

Default Heading out to Valdez tomorrow

It will be the first trip in the "new to me" boat. I am taking a few military guys out who want to try to get on some shrimp and butt before they PCS out so with any luck we can get them some fish. If anyone would care to share a shrimp spot or two it would be much appreciated and kept quiet, if not I got some ideas as to where to start.

I've never done it before but I have read up here a lot after learning that one of the guys has the pots and wanted to try it one time before he left. From what I gather a bay with a fresh water source, somewhere between 100' and 300' with a rocky bottom is ideal, am I missing anything?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Default I just started this year as well, but

I've been shrimping out of Whittier every weekend for almost two months now. My only suggestion would be to target areas where the terrain is steep and deep. To me, deep is at least 500ft. Certainly shrimp can be caught shallower, I can only relay my experience. There's no significant freshwater source anywhere near where we fish, but I'm very happy with our catch rate.

good to know and thanks for the info. I wasnt really prepared to put pots that deep but I guess all that I need is a bit more rope. I havent invested a whole lot into it but these guys are really hoping to experience Alaska before they have to take off. With any luck the fishing gods will shine on us

If you are going to try shrimping around Valdez watch out for the commercial guys. They will be salmon fishing and fish many of the good shrimp areas. Gill nets and shrimp buoys don't mix.

Good Luck

Steve

Thanks for the heads up! Is there an area that they are designated for or do they have free reign?

i have been to valdez the last 2 years in early june and did not shrimp in water deeper than 300'. What i would do is cruise by a few bouy's and see what depth they are set at, it seems that valdez shrimp are shallower than whittier. we caught hailbut out at knowles head a bit of a run though.

Thanks for the heads up! I dont want to crowd anyone (the number 2 complaint from my research here) and I dont want to get into the commercial guys way but I did plan to check other peoples depths on the depthfinder if possible if anyone was in nearby locations.

The guys have enough rope to run in 200 feet of water, maybe that will be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post
    Thanks for the heads up! Is there an area that they are designated for or do they have free reign?

I'm not sure of the commercial rules. I know they work most points in the Valdez Arm.

Good Luck