Thread: Transportation Help Please

Default Transportation Help Please

Need advise from someone...been there done that...
    Coming to Ak from july 11- 27th ..Rental cars rates are OUT OF SIGHT for this time. $1500-2000 for a tiny two door. I have explored many aves, all same...I need advise please..
    Thanks
    Tom

Well first off. Where in alaska are you coming too. what are you looking to do. How much gear ETC etc
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default Transportation

Whoops, should have added that. Going to be Kenai area from July 11-26. Was looking to get car in Soldotna/ Kenai area. Have just Wife and child, fishing gear .Thank you

Haveyou checked a u-haul rental?

Default transportation

Yes, about the same as others..Keep ideas coming please.
    I actually thought about buying a good reliable used car SUV...Jeep, Dodge... ( max $1500).
    Anyone have one? If you do, and its reliable please send me pictures:
    uacg @sonic.net
    Please before you send pictures: ask yourself, Would you put your wife and child in this car?
    Thanks
    Tom

Default What are you looking to do?

Soldotna is not that big a town!Walking is a very easy option for a town it's size. You could take a cab to kenai or nikiski if you want. If you are wanting to drive north or south away from soldotna, what are you reasons?
    The more info you give us, the more we can give you!
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

WOW one way rental is 350. 1700 or so for the whole time doesn't surprise me - this is Alaska. But one way rental is a lot

may be worth looking for a lodge or a hotel that has a shuttle service for most of the major stuff.

Another option is to look on craigslist and contact one of the people renting out an RV. It would cost a little more than a car but save you a bundle on lodging.
    Here is the first one that popped up on a search for "rental" on the RV section.

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/rvs/1816740955.html

Default transportation

Thanks for all feedback, we are just looking for something to tour around in and stop and fish, tourist stuff. Coming into anchorage, then to kenai area. We have friend picking us up in anchorage, but need somnething for next 14 days
    Thanks
    Tom

have you rent a wreck off spenard ? and tryed the renals away from the airport to get away from the airport fee`s

WOW!!!!! They really bend you over huh?

The cheapest I was able to find you was booking through a business in England!!!
    Also you are better off renting in Anchorage.
    Check out Cheap Car Rental.com
    The best price I could find was $1001 for a 2 door Chevy Aveo.
    Next time visit Alaska after the tourist season.
    My buddy got a mini van for $350 a week a couple of years ago.

Default Enterprise

Enterprise in Anchorage says 1,131 to 1,418 for a very small two door but if you want to take a trip out to the Valley you can get one for 589.95 you can even rent a pickup for 694.45 in Wasilla for 2 weeks but in Anchorage it cost you twice as much.

Sorry didn't find anything in Kenia for a good price.

U might as well rent a motorhome already!

Quote Originally Posted by aliamber View Post
    Need advise from someone...been there done that...
    Coming to Ak from july 11- 27th ..Rental cars rates are OUT OF SIGHT for this time. $1500-2000 for a tiny two door. I have explored many aves, all same...I need advise please..
    Thanks
    Tom
    Or you could come visit us in January when cars rent for $10. You are better off renting in anchorage. If you rent off the airport you will save some taxes and fees.

For two weeks in the peak of the tourist season $1500 - $2000 is about where the rates typically are.

KLICKMAN

Quote Originally Posted by klickman View Post
    Or you could come visit us in January when cars rent for $10. You are better off renting in anchorage. If you rent off the airport you will save some taxes and fees.

For two weeks in the peak of the tourist season $1500 - $2000 is about where the rates typically are.

KLICKMAN
    But in january they wont' "let you" go over the passes from ANC to Soldotna. Not that anyone listens, and it's a gorgeous drive in the daylight.

IF you're buddy can get you up to those Wasilla and Palmer options...it kills two birds with one stone....it saves money and gets you north of Anchorage, sounds like a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by aliamber View Post
    Thanks for all feedback, we are just looking for something to tour around in and stop and fish, tourist stuff. Coming into anchorage, then to kenai area. We have friend picking us up in anchorage, but need somnething for next 14 days
    Thanks
    Tom
    Have you ask your friends to use one of their cars?

The rental rates posted below for wasilla are really reasonable. Have your friends drive you there

Stageline bussr would get you to soldotna for 120 adult. Look at rental rates there (expect more expensive)