Thread: Montague or Hinchinbrook October Hunt

Default Montague or Hinchinbrook October Hunt

Hey everybody,

I'm looking at doing a deer hunt on either Montague or Hinchinbrook island in late October. What I'm wondering is would it be better to leave from Cordova, Valdez, or Whittier. What are some reputable charters out of each location and estimated costs. Is it best to go by air or sea? What island may prove to be more successful? I appreciate any information anybody is willing to share.

Andrew

I have never looked into a deer hunt in that area but here is some info that might help you...I was looking to book a salmon shark charter out of Valdez, Whittier or Cordova. I found out that the best shark fishing is around Hitchinbrook Is. so I started calling charter companies in each city. Valdez & Whittier averaged $500 per person and a several hour transit to the fishing spot, Cordova averaged $250 per person and 1-2 hour transit. So I would imagine Cordova would be your best bet due to fuel costs.

You may find that costs go up drastically during hunting season. I recently took a trip that cost $250 for halibut. I asked the operator how much to get dropped off in the same area for a fall hunt and the reply was $2500. This was just for about 2.5 hrs of transport time.

You may find that costs go up drastically during hunting season. I recently took a trip that cost $250 for halibut. I asked the operator how much to get dropped off in the same area for a fall hunt and the reply was $2500. This was just for about 2.5 hrs of transport time.
    Keep in mind you paying for a pick up and drop off, it's outside of any typical "fish" charter season, the WX, transporter license costs, and the fact a fish charter divides the cost between several people and not one. Both islands get hunted so I'd say your chances are equal.

In Cordova contact Steve Ranney at Orca Adventure Lodge 907.424.7249 - Not sure if Steve is a transporter but he's a very nice honest guy and would know someone if not.
    http://www.orcaadventurelodge.com/

In Valdez contact Dan Eames at 907.831.0754 - Dan is a licensed transporter, charter captain, retired Coast Guard and hunts those islands also.
    http://www.seaclusionsaltwater.com/
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Seems that the water taxi option is iffy in October. We couldn't find one. There were plenty of options if we wanted to hunt from someone's boat for $2500. We flew to Montague last October for $900 each with Natron Air. Not a lotta deer around where we were at hunting the clear cuts. Not sure how the harvest went on Montague overall. I think forum member Blink went to Hinchinbrook last fall, maybe he could help you out with some info.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tdelarm View Post
    Keep in mind you paying for a pick up and drop off, it's outside of any typical "fish" charter season, the WX, transporter license costs, and the fact a fish charter divides the cost between several people and not one. Both islands get hunted so I'd say your chances are equal.

In Cordova contact Steve Ranney at Orca Adventure Lodge 907.424.7249 - Not sure if Steve is a transporter but he's a very nice honest guy and would know someone if not.
    http://www.orcaadventurelodge.com/

In Valdez contact Dan Eames at 907.831.0754 - Dan is a licensed transporter, charter captain, retired Coast Guard and hunts those islands also.
    http://www.seaclusionsaltwater.com/
    I understand and I am not complainig. The previous poster was using charter prices to compare transporter prices. Obviously the two are not really related.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
    I understand and I am not complainig. The previous poster was using charter prices to compare transporter prices. Obviously the two are not really related.

Hey Hayduke,

I didn't think you were complaining and even if you were it's not my style to point it out. Just wanted to point out the cost differences and reasons to the other guys possibly from out of state
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Quote Originally Posted by tdelarm View Post
    Hey Hayduke,

I didn't think you were complaining and even if you were it's not my style to point it out. Just wanted to point out the cost differences and reasons to the other guys possibly from out of state
    No worries Im probably grumpy from working the holiday weekend.

Default Good to know

That's Good Info to know you guys, the difference between Fish Charter Costs and Drop-off Transporting.

A real benefit of the Forums, all that info getting out there, thanks for pointing it all out.

I'm punching the numbers now, looking into becoming a hunt transporter and realizing that to drop off, even just a few hours out, that the costs of fuel, my time at the wheel, weather factors,etc. are all doubled. Of course this is exponentially bigger if traveling eight or ten hours from town.

Big difference between, "ok, we can get out there for a few hours today and return" vs. "ok I can get you there today, then return to town, then get the weather, etc. to come back out to pick you up a week later. Much more expensive for the Transporter

Almost think it would be a lot easier to stay with the hunters if I could figure out what to charge them to sit on the anchor while they hunt ,you know where it's a fair price for all involved?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !