Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Silvers, any luck in Prince William Sound yet?

Default Silvers, any luck in Prince William Sound yet?

anyone have any luck catching silvers yet in PWS?

Quote Originally Posted by Emu View Post
    anyone have any luck catching silvers yet in PWS?

ask again in a month and youll still be a bit early

Quote Originally Posted by anticipation View Post
    ask again in a month and youll still be a bit early
    Not entirely true. That might be correct in the areas right around Whittier or Valdez, but I've done very, very well on silvers out in the Sound in mid July. We absolutely killed 'em one year on the 16th and 17th of July, so I'm sure you can scare some up sooner than that.

The more appropriate question would be "what is the good time for such and such area". PWS aka Prince William Sound is a large body of water so, it would really depend on the exact location you are asking for. Do some research, check the F&G anticipated runs are for the areas you have interest in and then come back for an update. Good luck.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Default how about...

Knight Island and father out, Latouche? Figured they are seeing them in Pony Cove near seward, so I was wondering if people are picking them up in the sound?

Picked one up a few days ago jigging for rockfish on the north side of Culross. They are around, you just may have to run a little ways to be able to really target them.

Default Any News?

I brought my boat back to Whittier from Seward this week. How are the Silvers? Any good action by Main Bay or Crafton? Don't like to run any further South than I have to. How about Ester?

Caught a few, and saw quite a few schools hanging around Goose and Gull Island when I was out there last week.

Silvers swim around out in the PWS, they don't go to Japan or Juneau. I have done a lot of looking and have found schools in June and July only 25 miles out of the Whittier Harbor. But after 20 some odd years guess I just coupld be lucky, but I think it helps that I don't see if my boat will go 30 mph, I have literaly trolled around spots that look good. It's been said there are no Kings, well I must of found some lost ones last year. Agreed it's better later in the year, but feeder Silvers should be a term!
    Wish I date stamped my photos, because someones going to say BS, but thats cool leaves more fun for me, LOL

I was out yesterday on a friend's boat...fishing around Lone and Perry Islands...and we both limited on silvers. Nice big fish, too. The smallest was probably 8 lbs...with the biggest one pushing 13 or 14 lbs. Used small tray-pack herring mooched anywhere from 20-40' down...the silvers were hitting those like a truck. The action was kind of sporadic, but they're out there already.

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    fishing around Lone and Perry Islands...and we both limited on silvers. .
    Might I be so bold as to ask where in relationship to each island you were fishing? I am new to PWS this year and have found it very difficult to find any fish at all. Not like Seward where you can drop a line almost anywhere and be assured of catching something. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Kenai In July View Post
    Might I be so bold as to ask where in relationship to each island you were fishing? I am new to PWS this year and have found it very difficult to find any fish at all. Not like Seward where you can drop a line almost anywhere and be assured of catching something. Thanks!
    We covered a lot of area...and no place we fished was better/hotter than another (in general)...it was just kind of sporadic. However, we were fishing around the north side of Lone Island and the west side of Perry. Good luck, they are out there to be had.

Ok I've seemed to do the best the East Side of Culross Island Hidden Bay up past Culross Bay. Ok so your out in September and you see a big school of spawning Pinks, well beleive this or not, but fish the out side if that school for Silvers. No they are not there to spawn or eat Pinks. Try it or don't I know what happens in certain streams.

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    We covered a lot of area...and no place we fished was better/hotter than another (in general)...it was just kind of sporadic. However, we were fishing around the north side of Lone Island and the west side of Perry. Good luck, they are out there to be had.
    Thanks! On my way to "wet-ier" tomorrow and hope for good seas! Can be raining any more than it is here in Kenai.

NO SILVERS IN PWS, SORRY, everyone should stay at home!...They are are still way out, we limited quick, but took some time finding them. Had to work through some schools of pinks.

going out tomorrow afternoon to check pots. I've seen jumpers in Passage the last couple days. Gonna bring some bait this time and get some!!

Terrible - I did terrible on Sunday....trolled for silvers for a few hours - didn't even catch a pink. We don't have riggers so were using deep 6 and divers with hoochies tipped with a piece of hooligan. Is there any tips on length of leaders or maybe colors to use??

We did get some pinks by camp to try for canning. There are tons of pinks in all of the bays with any freshwater entering. We also tried for Rockfish/butts with out even a nibble. We did get a few hundred shrimp so that helps a little.

Watch out for the little black flies if you camp on shore.....they are not very nice.

I haven't fished for silvers out of the sound yet this year, but I'd say drifting arounds points of islands or the mainland and either tossing buzz bombs or mooching with herring or gulp as bait can be very productive. You're looking for areas that will tend to concentrate the fish. Also watch out of seagulls, gulls tend to indicate where the herring are, and where there are herring, there should be silvers feeding on them.

Picked up a silver and a few pinks on Saturday off Perry Island. We did see Jumpers all the way from Shotgun Cove out. Most were pinks. The set up with the most hits was a deep six #2 Diver, large Flasher, and a green hootchie with a bit of herring gel. I was the only using large flashers and I got many more strikes than the rods without the flashers. Unfortunately a lot were rock fish but still it got more hits by far. Our problem this trip was we could not stick any of the fish. I bet we had a dozen rod bending strikes before we finally boated one. We were trolling so I found that pretty amazing that we couldn't stick'em. Oh well, I suppose you have your on and off days.

N. Knight, Smith Island all had plenty of slivers on Friday. We had no problem out there catching them, did very little trolling, maybe 2 hours and picked up 5 nice size slivers.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast