Thread: landing strips on north slope

Default landing strips on north slope

I plan on going up the hwy and hunting caribou this Aug and have never been there. Anybody willing to share some gps marks for strips I can get into and out of in a 180? Also I have 8.50x6's do you think they are OK or do I really need bigger? Thanks in advance, Tom

I have talked with people that said they land on the road. Their are lots of pull offs that are used to access the river or pipeline to park. They will then land on the river beds to do thier hunting.
    Hope that helps a little

Tom,

When are you planning in August? I am planning for a trip the third week of August. I will be flying up and a couple guys will be driving a chase truck up with fuel and bows in case I can't find a spot to land. While I have hunted the road with bow by vehicle I have not flown up there. Maybe a cooperative effort would make a more productive/safer trip.

We're planning the same type of hunt. If we can't drive up with enough gas, is there gas available by a strip above the Yukon? Such as Coldfoot and Wiseman. I know there are people flying out of there, but don't know if gas is for sale or private. We'll be using a SuperCub. Thanks for any information. Hate to drive/fly up there without more information.

Thanks

Mike

Default Strips

One at Gailbrath and one at Happy Valley, niether have fuel

Thanks, AKhunter. So, Wiseman is probably the farthest North for Gas in that area. Looks like we'll have to haul a lot of containers if we want to meet on the road and fly out. Hmmmm. More planning is neccessary, I guess. Thanks again for the help. I saw those two on the map, but wasn't sure of them.

Mike

Im not aware of any strips other than Bettles that you can buy fuel, I flew into to Coldfoot this past weekend, no furl, dont believe there is any in Wiseman either.

Give Coyote Air a call in Coldfoot and see if they sell or know of who will sell fuel. If you are autogas capable there is fuel in Coldfoot..obviously not for a 180 though. There is avgas available in Deadhorse.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Thanks, guys. We are on auto gas so Coldfoot would be it until Deadhorse. Still looking at maps.................

M

Autogas is at Coldfoot, not the Coldfoot airport. You will need a vehicle and cans to go back and forth. The transporters in Coldfoot are not very friendly when you ask for any gas even in an emergency. I saw one outfit literally yell at a guy who asked if he could buy ten gallons of av gas to get him back to FBX. Deadhorse weather can be a huge factor. The coast gets fogged in allot for days at a time. o depending on Deadhore can leave you in a tent for days at a time just trying to get in. Umiat no longer has fuel.

Land in the Coldfoot parking lot Just kidding.. Oh, I miss the old days when you could land at a gas station
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem