Thread: Do Barrel Bands Affect Accuracy?

Default Do Barrel Bands Affect Accuracy?

I have a Remington 7600 pump that I would like to put a sling on. The rifle did not come with any sling attachment points. The after market hardwear that I have found all have barrel bands. I have been hesistant to buy them though because of potential hamronics issues which could affect the accuracy. I also don't want to mar the finish of the barrel. Neither of these concerns may be issues at all, but I'd appreciate any insight that you have. I'd also appreciate any installation pointers that you may have.

Thanks!

What with all the other accuracy problem the 7600 and most other factory rifles have, I would not worry about a sling mount will do to accuracy. Hang whatever you like on it and then fire to see if the shots will effect your needs for hunting.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by John Pirog View Post
    I have a Remington 7600 pump that I would like to put a sling on. The rifle did not come with any sling attachment points. The after market hardwear that I have found all have barrel bands. I have been hesistant to buy them though because of potential hamronics issues which could affect the accuracy. I also don't want to mar the finish of the barrel. Neither of these concerns may be issues at all, but I'd appreciate any insight that you have. I'd also appreciate any installation pointers that you may have.

Thanks!
    I agree with Big Al, the accuracy is not going to be an issue. If you use the rifle in a tight sling it may change point of impact, but at the ranges you are going to use the 7600 it would not give me any concern. As for marring the finish, it's hard to say. Applying a steel band may very well scratch the barrel's finish and the attachable band will allow moisture to collect between the barrel and band which may cause rust to form under the band in all likelihood. FWIW I've used the barrel band you are considering for various Win 94s and Marlin 336s with good results.

I have a swedish m41 that has a long stock and two barrel bands. I invite anyone to have a fun shoot vs moi with that gun

Its not the bands qua band, its the quality of the firearm under the bands

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Thanks!
    For a hunting rifle, I just hafta have a sling.

Why don'tcha use a Shootgun type Sling, that just wraps around the barrel? That would work.

As to the Accuracy of the Remington Pumps, I seen a guy sighting one in at the Range a while back. It was a 30-06, and it shot as accurately as most Bolt guns. I understand they are quite popular in some parts of the country.

Assuming you don't already know, I think if you research the subject, you'll find that many of them, at least, are quite accurate. If your's is, I agree you dont' want to ruin it with a barrel band, so I understand your reluctance to try it.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Thanks!
    I am pretty sure that the sling atachement is connected into the end of the pump action or magazine tube. Here is a link for one. I have one on my 742 which is similar.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=316094

Default Thanks

All,

Thanks for the comments. I am going to try the set that Armymark provided the link for. It looks like I got lucky with the rifle - it's actually quite an accurate rifle and the groups have remained nice and tight, even when the barrel heats up (I have that problem in my 300 Weatherby).

Take care.

All,

Thanks for the comments. I am going to try the set that Armymark provided the link for. It looks like I got lucky with the rifle - it's actually quite an accurate rifle and the groups have remained nice and tight, even when the barrel heats up (I have that problem in my 300 Weatherby).

Take care.
    My Dad hunts with a guy that uses one of those Remington pumps in .270 and he's out right deadly with it, to include Elk! Good luck.