Thread: 72 merc 800

Default 72 merc 800

i have an 18ft monark flat bottom and just put an old johnson 40 prop on it and have gone as far as a prop will take me on local rivers so today i picked up an old 80 merc with a jet and i am having some problems locating parts i need a throttle/shifter it also has a 6 pin connector on the side that i know is for electric start but im not sure what else i dont see a shift lever on it so im thinking maby electric shift so i also need to find an external wire harness anyone have any time on one of these things. thanks

Have you ran/tested the motor at all yet?

Is it a tiller or a console setup? If it is a tiller, then it wouldn't have electronic shift, there would be a lever somewhere on it for shifting. A lot of people just use to take off the shift bucket because they would "pop" up a lot when going forward.

Before spending too much $$ on it, I would check compression, spark, and grease the jet to see what the grease that is in it looks like. Be sure to mix a little rich for that motor too... Dont want any piston damage!

its a console set up i also think i found the shifter i want to try and get it started but im not sure if you have to supply power to the motor for it to run or if it makes its own power from what i have found the ext. wire harness is for ignition,electric choke and a neutral saftey swich the jet is to big to fit in a barrel so i guss i will have to put it on the boat and set it in the river to do any testing.

Well I am assuming that you had a shift cable for your prop motor, and this would be how the jet bucket would shift as well, but you may need a longer shift cable so that it can reach down to your jet..

If the motor has a starter on it, than chances are that you will need control wires up to your steering station.. there is ways around it to get the motor to turn over, but it can be complicated..

And yes, it sounds like you will have to put the motor on the boat to do any testing...