Thread: The Amazing elmerkeithclone

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default The Amazing elmerkeithclone

EKC:
    I received the Hawken ML this afternoon, just before I left for a Cast Bullet Shoot. I got home about 9:30, and examined it again.

Watta PERFECT rifle for my purposes. It was a little embarrassing, but I'm SO GLAD that I accepted your offer.

I like the sights. They'll work great for me.

It's very slim and lightweight for a Hawken design.

I'm really amazed at how simple and yet ingenious the design of these MLs. I betcha people in olden days would have liked to have had rifles like the replicas we have nowadays.

Do you think I should clean the barrel, before I fire it? OR, just make sure things are clear, fire it and then clean it?

There is some kinda grease in the barrel, and I dunno if it's petroleum based or not. If it is, I might wanna get it out first.

Waddaya Think?

I'm purty shore this rifle will be my next one for the matches. Just as soon as I can get it tested, sighted in, etc. I plan on using 75 grains of 3F, and hoping the ticking patches I'm using now will be the ticket.

There's another match for July comin up, if my wife doesn't force me to go fishing.

Thanks Again.
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default Verry Sneekee, You

EKC:
    All this time, I was thinking I would have your RETURN ADDRESS, and REEL NAME, so that I would be able to RETURN the tremendous favor.

But, you send it from some place else, so I don't.

Oh well. if the occassion arises, I can always just ask. Like you did, so you have CONTROL.

I'm sending you these msgs. publicly, so folks know you do good deeds.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    EKC

There is some kinda grease in the barrel, and I dunno if it's petroleum based or not. If it is, I might wanna get it out first.

Waddaya Think?

Thanks Again.
    Smitty of the North
    I think its TC's Wonder Lube. Light a match and stick it in the hole if it don't go wooof then it's Wonder Lube!

My favorite "serious" cleaner for greased bores, especially the packing tough grease used by Lyman, is brake pad cleaner from the auto store. Just wet a few patches with the stuff, and it will take the worst bore back to bright shiny metal, though it doesn't affect bluing or browning in the slightest. Pure magic compared with the frustration of really degreasing bores with anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    My favorite "serious" cleaner for greased bores, especially the packing tough grease used by Lyman, is brake pad cleaner from the auto store. Just wet a few patches with the stuff, and it will take the worst bore back to bright shiny metal, though it doesn't affect bluing or browning in the slightest. Pure magic compared with the frustration of really degreasing bores with anything else.
    BB:
    It was apparently Wonder Lube. I cleaned things with soap and water. I believe there was some kind of oil in the nipple, area. I changed the nipple. and cleaned the area.

I never heard of using the brake brake cleaner on a patch before. I have sprayed it down the barrel of open breech guns though.

I'll keep your suggestion in mind for future reference.

Thanks again.
    Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Sorry, I haven't looked at this thread for a while. It was for sure Wonder Lube....as it's the onliest thing I use. It wouldn't have gone woof!

I weren't trying to blow ya up or nothin there Smitty! Just funnin ya!

EKC:

I aint' blowed er up yet, that is.

I have been larnin a whole bunch of stuff about MLs lately.

Some things I've been told outright, by you guys, and other things caused me to do some research.

A biggy, is the trajectory, of a ML, (RB). I had NO IDEA, how curvy it was, and I thought I was purty well versed about MLs but somehow I didn't pay enuff attention to this important aspect.

Here's what happened. It was a sort of process before I finally understood.

Fortunately, because it wasn't the usual practice, I heard that the next ML match would include 100 yard shooting. I went to the range and sighted in for 100 yards. The match went fine and dandy, I did the best I could. (The shooting is Off-Hand.)

Later, I was wondering WHY, my gun wasn't sighted in. I thought I musta MISS sighted it in at the 100 yards, so I readjusted the sights to work (at closer ranges.)

It went like that UNTIL I decided I should sight in at 25 yards, then see what the elevation was at 50 and 100 yards.

Dumb old me, I couldn't believe that when it was sighted to be on at 25 yards it was too low at 50, and when I adjusted it for 50 it was SEVERAL INCHES low at 100. I thought my gun was broke, the sights loose, the rifling gone, wrong powder charge, or maybe it was possessed.

Something someone said, about sighting in at 75 yards, caused me to look up an OLD Black Powder book I'd almost forgotten, I had, and I was introduced to the PP trajectories of Muzzle Loading firearms in general, RBs in particular.

Depending on the velocity etc. when sighted in at 50 yards, there isn't much difference back at 25, but at 100 yards, it can be several inches low.

It makes you wonder how those Minute Men were able to knock those British Generals offa they're horses, from far, far, away, and on purpose.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

EKC:
    I got the Unbreakable ramrod yesterday. It was OK in length but the 3/8 size didn't fit through the thimbles, and the for end cap.

I knew that a 3/8 dowel would, so I shortened the screws that held the thimbles, and reamed the hole in the for end cap, so the metal fitting on the end wouldn't hang up.

It works fine now, and the 3/8 diameter is better/stiffer than the regular (metric size) ramrods that are stock with all my guns.

This gun is inspiring me to beeger, better, and more glorious and grandiose things.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Just caught this thread. Welcome to the CLUB, Smitty!
    There are many folks here that have been on the receiving end of EKC's amazing kindness.
    Kinda reassures your faith that there are still good folks out there, don't it?
    Polar contrast to some of the bear threads.

Smitty, I don't think he could have been kind to a more decent person.
    You are always a class act and deserve the kindness.

Pretty AMAZING ain't it.

Smitty, PM inbound.

EKC:
    I used the ML gun at the Fun Shoot today.

They told me, I got 6th place and gave me a $10.00 Fred Meyer Gift Certificate.

Am I spose to turn over all my winnings to you?

Take Care

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.