Thread: Sea anchor

Default Sea anchor

Just finished a sea or trolling anchor for my new freighter canoe. It has an adjustable outlet throat to adjust drag and a water release strap so you don't have to pick up all that water, just the fabric bag. More pics if folks are interested.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default Yeah I'm interested

Nice work Rick, I'm definitely interested in more pics and maybe dimensions, how the lines are rigged, and how the adjustable outlet works. Looks like just a drawstring there right?

is there weighting on the mouth somehow to keep it down? or does it sink to just below surface by itself? How far out from the boat to place it?

I've tried one similar for a big boat 32ft having found it in an outfitter catalog somwhere down south so I get the picture, somewhat but your is very nice and interesting for a small boat. More details?

Cool Post
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

OK sorry it took me a bit too get this up but here it is. Yes the outlet throat dose adjust with a draw string. I have found by varying the opening I can adjust boat speed from 4 mph down to 1.5 without altering motor speed. The sea anchor is also invaluable for trolling in high winds and drift fishing. When trolling either into or with the wind you can keep the boat strait by running the anchor off the wind ward side. If you need to do a sharp turn into the wind just give the throttle a goose. When drift fishing the anchor keeps the boat from traveling in the wind and greatly reduces the speed the wind can push the boat.

We had the freighter out yesterday and we were the only ones on the lake that could troll at all do to the winds. Wind stacks up plankton which stacks up bait fish drawing in big predators. Without the sea anchor we could not have trolled at all!
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default Good Pic

Thanks, that Picture explains a ton, Great Idea
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

To make the sea anchor start with two panels of water proof fabric, I used vinyl backed canvas scrap but in the future rip stop nylon will be my choice. I wanted to maximise the size of my anchor for the scrap I had so the panel dimensions are 26x36. As long as the anchor is longer than it is wide you'll be fine, the extra length aids stability greatly. The throat diameter is 6 inches. Just find the center point and add 3 inches to either side of center.
    BHA Member

Next stitch the two panels together forming an open ended cone, add a webbing strap by stitching it to the top and bottom edge forming a quick release. Believe me you don't want to try and haul this thing over the rail full of water.
    BHA Member

Now you will want to reinforce the outlet throat and form a channel for the draw string. Stitch a webbing strap to the outside of the outlet throat along both edges, be careful to leave the ends open and knot your tag ends well! A great deal of water pressure is exerted against the stitching. Now thread a heavy cord through the reinforced channel and add a compression fitting.
    BHA Member

Last two steps, cut a piece of stiff rope the size of the intake throat opening and hem it into the intake throat, the rope helps keep the intake open. Last stitch 4 webbing loops spaced equally around the intake.
    BHA Member

Rigging the anchor is simple. Tie lines forming a cross to the loops, do not knot at the center point. I found that if your loops cross about 10 inches above the anchor throat you have the length right. Next tie a main line in place with a bowline or use a carabiner, you want the anchor to self adjust, hard connections at the cross point wont allow the anchor to find an equilibrium. Next form a loop in the other end of the main line. When tethered to a cleat the anchor should be about 10 feet behind the motor.

Now take your little boat out in high winds and play a bit, you will be stunned how much using a sea anchor can help in rough waters!
    BHA Member

Glad you found the pic helpful Kodiakrain, again sorry it took so long for me to post a response..........summer in Alaska, I'm sure you understand.
    BHA Member

Default Kept lookin'

Yeah Rick,
    Summer is on........ I woulda kept looking, Heck a guy can be gone for three weeks this time of year or all summer for that matter and it just gets you to figuring, "this is the guy who WILL know how to make a Seriously Nice Sea Anchor," he'll be back around

That is a Piece of work there, you get paid to do craftsmanship like that?

Thanks for the detail

I got asked that same question repeatedly when I made my Freight pack bag.......no I'm just a firm believer in "independent innovation". In other words I'm cheap and I like to tinker, I often end up with better gear than folks who spend a great deal more as well. The sea anchor was something I literally banged together one night while I was bored. Took about an hour and a half from design to finished anchor and cost nothing.

I'll be doing a spray deck for the freighter canoe soon, I'll post pics of that as well.
    BHA Member

Default Ohhhhh

Oh Man, I'll definitely be watching for the spray deck, Just got a 14ft Canoe and thinking for tough weather paddling on the coast it would be great to have float bags like they use for whitwater canoeing, something to strap in tight, but never even thought of a spray deck,

Very Interesting

I have a kayaking background, I have even designed in emergency spray skirts for myself and up to 2 passengers. If I get stuck out in really heavy weather I'll be able to close the skirt around my body, this should seal off the deck. I don't think it will be totally water tight but it should shed the vast majority of the rain/spray.
    BHA Member

Nice job Rick, you can use that to slow down your approach to an on shore landing in the wind... Do you have a line to the aft of the sock to assist in draining the sock befor you lift it? I have a couple that I used to slow down trowling for Kings.

George

It dose George, I have found the anchor very useful in a veriety of situations.
    BHA Member