Thread: Denali Highway/Jack River?

Default Denali Highway/Jack River?

Hello all you cyber hikers.... Has anyone spent much time up in the Jack River area off of the south west end of the Denali Hwy? I have 6 days coming up here and am thinking of heading out for a nice backpack somewhere off of the Denali Hwy... Any great loops or spots in the 40-50 mile range that anyone would like to divulge? Thanks and happy (cyber) hiking!

You can get one at the office here in town. alot of times they have deposit boxes for them up in the area too. My wife works for AHTNA here in town. Call the office to see the cost. I think around 20 bucks and just a quick form. Name address and time out is about all they want.

Correction. they do not issue permits on Anchorage. Glennallen office does but you are looking at the cantwell side. Call the glenallen AHTNA office. There should be honer system boxes up there. They can line you up. This correction is straight from the wifes mouth.

Correction 2. Right on Lujon for finding the link for the permit. Thanks a million. June did not even know about that
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default Check Ed Plumb's blog

Its not in the Jack area, but Ed Plumb's blog has a number of nice packrafting trips on it off the Denali Highway. Most of them could be converted to hiking only trips fairly easly if you are not a pack rafter.

These two in particular look pretty fun and would not require any permits from AHTNA (not that permits are bad as its now private land):
    http://edplumb.blogspot.com/2009/09/...chnicolor.html
    http://edplumb.blogspot.com/2009/07/...earwaters.html

I was up in that area two weekends ago on a packrafting trip on the East Fork of the Su and the hiking was great.

I have never been up in the headwaters of the Jack and have often wondered how the hiking was up there, as there appear to be several good packrafting routes up that way..
    Quote Originally Posted by Birkebakke View Post
    Hello all you cyber hikers.... Has anyone spent much time up in the Jack River area off of the south west end of the Denali Hwy? I have 6 days coming up here and am thinking of heading out for a nice backpack somewhere off of the Denali Hwy... Any great loops or spots in the 40-50 mile range that anyone would like to divulge? Thanks and happy (cyber) hiking!

Just came back from a 110 mile packraft/hiking loop that started at the Jack River to Caribou Lakes, then up and over into Tsusena Creek. Packraft down Tsusena Creek to the Tsusena Butte, then over land to the headwaters of Brushkana and then packrafting Brushkana back to Cantwell. The head waters of Jack river will require an AHTNA permit to access, but the hiking in the Caribou Pass area is a blast and easy walking once you get to the lakes. The Clearwater Mountains as mentioned are also a good area to hike and plan on exploring those more in the coming months.

Default Yippppeeee!

Thanks alot for the heads up all. I was unaware of the permits needed, but would gladly do so, if we head up that way. The "Edventures" photos are tantalizingly beautiful. Our regular hiking buds, our 3 dogs are pretty anti-water sport types though, so for a few more years, we'll have to keep the travellin connected with solid ground, but I'm looking forward to the day we can invest in the packraft scene. It really looks fun. I have abundant ideas now though and think we can create a trip in either the Jack area or the Clearwaters!

Yipppppeeeeeee!