Thread: Fishing Young Lake on Admiralty Island

Default Fishing Young Lake on Admiralty Island

Hey all - I'm currently working on Admiralty Island doing trail work by Young Lake and I keep wanting to fish the lake.

Was hoping to get some tips on fishing. Probably use a spinner outfit (no flyfishing experience), but not sure on lures & such.

Ive never personally been to young lake, but I would imagine the cutts would bite the same things they do in other lakes. For lures, #1-2 gold mepps or vibrax spinners. Maybe some small krocodiles or kastmasters in silver, and small gold "little cleos" if you can find them. Remember, if practicing catch and release, clip off one or two of the hooks and pinch your barbs! Most fish you catch will probably not hit the min. 14in size, so you are going to be releasing bunch anyway. Also, no bait! Its illegal and up to 50% of cutts caught on bait die after being released.

I've fished Young's a few times, a couple while doing trail work as well. Expect good Cutthroat fishing and if fishing later in the season the will be Silvers in the lake as well. Caught my biggest Cutthroat there a dandy 25"er. Get up before the rest of the crew and hit the lake early in the AM before the go to deeper water.