Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T/C Hot Shot?

Default T/C Hot Shot?

So my daughter turns 4 in August and its high time to get her a rifle.

Whenever I paint, its "Daddy, can you paint me a pink rifle?.......and Buddy wants a blue one" . That said, I think she would be sorely disappointed with a rifle not sporting any pink. As the saying goes a 'mans man'....she is a 'girls girl' when it comes to princess things, pink, etc.

My question is about the trigger. I haven't found a shop that has had one of these in stock, but after looking at pictures, I cant get over how funky the trigger looks. It also appears that the distance that a little finger would have to reach is considerably long as well.

Anyone have any experience/handled one of these?

Wink Whose rifle is it going to be?

So the real question is who is the rifle going to be for? I would think that a:
    Crickett Pink Synthetic Stainless Barrel "Cause Girls Shoot Too!"
    would be a better size choice than a TC. Also comes in the right color. One thing is for sure one or the other wouldn't be too hard to loose.

I'm betting that the trigger "clicks" rearward when the gun is cocked thus shortening what appears to be a long stretch for tiny hands. You would think TC would get that right!

Quote Originally Posted by carysguns View Post
    So the real question is who is the rifle going to be for? I would think that a:
    Crickett Pink Synthetic Stainless Barrel "Cause Girls Shoot Too!"
    would be a better size choice than a TC. Also comes in the right color. One thing is for sure one or the other wouldn't be too hard to loose.
    The "Hot Shot" is their youth rifle. I looked a great deal at the little cricket rifles before buying my kids Rossi. From what I have read and seen looking at the little plunger guns they just aren't safe.

carysguns, I will admit that I haven't seen this thing in real life, but I understand this is just a shrunken version of 'dads rifle'...

I'm also with LuJon on this one. I didn't like the plunger-cocker thingy on the cricket (although cheaper and readily available) and also think a rear peep might be good for the kiddos too...

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I'm betting that the trigger "clicks" rearward when the gun is cocked thus shortening what appears to be a long stretch for tiny hands. You would think TC would get that right!
    Yup...

Just found this video

I'm an Encore fan and my grandson thinks I'm his hero(he'll grow out of that eventually) so maybe I ortta get him one in a testosterous color!

They are knida cool!

Black and Camo for your grandkid, EKC!

I'm comin' up dry everywhere on these and it doesn't help that it keeps coming up with this (with the same name):

Nice nipple!

Dang nipples are poppin' up everywhere...gotta sort through tons just to not find what I'm looking for!!

buds is out of em too.

Would be super cool to have one in 22 mag as well. I wonder what it would take to get one reamed out.

I'm coming up empty too. Looks like to boys at TC need to put in a little overtime and shorten up the coffee breaks!

Default How about a cub for a cub?

Savage makes a 22lr called a cub in pink. They all look too large in the area behind the trigger for a little hand. I would think that the wood could be thinned out on the top of the wrist to move the hand closer to the trigger. Also I would cut 2-3" off the back of the stock then add it back in 1/2" slices as she grows. Maybe thin the forearm out a little. Watch for a extra stock then pitch the modified stock when it is no longer needed. Does have the peep sight. Sorry about the size. I am working on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LuJon; 07-03-2010 at 00:36.

Got it fixed for you. I have wondered what it would be like to slay a giant with a .22 but this is a first for me slaying a giant .22!

I'm seriously wanting to see one of these now... my youngin' is sort of small framed and his 10/22 youth model is still a bit too heavy for him. The T/C also has decent looking apeture sights as a bonus.

I looked at a lot of the youth model bolt action single shots last year and found them kinda fumbly for little fingers to operate. The break open should be easier for little folks to manipulate well. He already has a break open .410 and its a piece of cake to operate.

I wonder if TC is going to offer a .410 barrel on that frame? That would push my interest straight into purchase mode.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I looked at a lot of the youth model bolt action single shots last year and found them kinda fumbly for little fingers to operate. The break open should be easier for little folks to manipulate well. He already has a break open .410 and its a piece of cake to operate.
    I like the idea of the break open action as well. Like carysguns said, the Savage cub was another I had looked at as well and may be a viable option.

Good article on the Savage Cub Here. By the looks of it in the hands of the boy in the pictures, it does appear to be very small, which is good since this would be for a 4 y/o girl of 'less than large lineage'....

Let me know if you stumble on some, hodgeman!

Default Savage cub

I looked at a Savage Cub Saturday. For a small rifle I have a mixed opinion. The stock from the butt plate to the semi pistol grip is small like one would think a youth rifle would be. The first problem is from the back of the grip to the front of the trigger is about 2 3/4". It also has the Savage trigger with the AccuTrigger which has the center part of the trigger that has to be pulled back as part of the trigger release. I would think that a small hand would have to roll around the grip as configured more than would be good to maintain a proper grip or maybe any grip at all. The second thing I found interesting is there is way too much action for a youth rifle. It is like Savage took a full sized 22 lr action and called it a youth size. The forearm is shortened and fat. At 3.5 lbs it is supposed to be 1/2 lb more than the TC Hot Shot. It is small and light overall but I haven't been 4 for a very long time so anything that small would seem small and light to me. I don't know that much about kids. I would say the Savage Cub youth size is about a 8-10 year old boy size overall. I did think that the grip could be thinned toward the trigger. Could it be enough for a small hand? We are not talking about much of a heavy recoiling round here so it could get thinner front to back and side to side. The forearm could stand to loose a lot of wood without much of a problem unless there is a hidden cavity in it. From a bench type of shooting rest it might be OK. From some kind of a non-supported position it might be a lot of rifle for a small girl. From the brief time I looked at it it did look well made. There is also a target stocked version with a thumb hole. I would think the hole could be made bigger to fit a small hand. Same other problems and now a little heavier.

Side note. The one I looked at was brown so I don't know how Pink is Pink. I just looked at the first Cub the Salesman came to in my local Sportsmans Warehouse.

Good review! Thanks for that...

Anyone find one of these anywhere??

Default Sorry

After a quick search it doesn't appear that the TC Hot Shot has entered the pipeline yet. If they are not at the wholesale level then it is not likely you will find one in a retail store. Apparently they were at the SHOT Show. Sorry I didn't know I should have looked at one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast