Thread: outboard on aire 156e

Cool outboard on aire 156e

I've owned my Aire 156e for a little over a year now and decided to attempt to put a motor mount on it. Reading these forums it became quickly evident that the 21 in tubes + 12 in kick would make it difficult to get the prop to even touch the water. Using a drop down mount would make it a pain to grab the tiller (not to mention all the extra aluminum tubing/seat mount on the rear etc). Cost quickly adds up. After speaking with Tracy at AR&K I decided to go with a side mount positioned just aft of my rowing seat. That took care of the kick/rocker problem, but I was a bit concerned about the distance the motor was off centerline. Put in at Sand Lake for a test drive before Skilak (or others) are attempted. This is a Tohatsu 6hp long shaft at 47 lbs. The setup worked remarkably well. Granted I'm not moving on step and am crabbing a bit through the water, but at about 6-7 kts it serves my purpose just fine (save the shoulders on lakes/slack water/headwinds). One extra alum tube plus mount is easily removable.
    Happy pursuits...

Nice Job. As with most of us with cats, we are not looking to go Mach 5. That will beat the hell out of rowing anyday.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Sounds like a good option that I might try myself.

I have a raft motor mount that I picked up at a garage sale. It's a simple device that goes over the tube and uses straps to hold it in place, but I have the same issue with too much kick in the stern for the prop to hit the water. Plus my outboard is a short shaft. The simple solution I think I will try first is to mount the thing on the side of the boat and use it to push the boat sideways. I have a 2.5 hp Merc, so speed will be a joke no matter what I do.

Is it legal to use an outboard on Sand Lake? I think the only other close test option is the small boat harbor near Ship Creek, but you got to mind the tides there.

Hey Jim. I thought Fire lake in ER was open for OB's too
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default pictures?

Do you have any that you can share of your new set up in action?