Thread: 4 Stroke?

Default 4 Stroke?

Anyone running a 4 stroke? I am new to snowmachines, didnt have enough snow where i was in NY so i never got one, didnt see the point.
    Anyway... there is a chance i will be moving to Nome soon, and i am going to be needing a snowmachine. I would like some opinions about what kind of sled is better and why a 2 or 4 stroke (i am biased towards 4's), I would be looking at getting a work type sled not a sport. I just like the work model toys better but i will listen to any input someone has.

thanks,
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

I run a 4 stroke Yamaha touring sled & I love it I get twice the gas mileage of the same size 2 stroke jobs. There is a little more maintenance with oil and filter changes but that is a minor detail. They are also heavier than 2 stroke sleds so they can be a pain if and when you get stuck.
    I am having a winch bumper built for the back of my sled so I can mount an ATV winch back there just in case.
    If you're looking for a fine utility sled look at the Yamaha Viking.
    Big, long, wide track and lots of storage. It even has a trunk under the seat.
    My Yamaha is an RS Venture GT which is their top of the line 2 up touring sled with a 1000 cc 4 stroke that puts out 120 horse power, which is more than I will ever need. It has plenty enough power to get you out of trouble if you find yourself in some deep overflow.

Default 4 stroke

I've never had a 4 stroke but have known a few who have, besides the weight they also have a tendency to overheat when it's warm out and your riding on trails and they don't start when the temp drops to -30. They do save on gas though. I run a 2 stroke 550 for trapping, hunting, and exploring and have no complaints.

I've owned and ridden both 2 and 4 strokes for sport and hauling. I loved the 4-stroke engines on the sport sleds but was not happy with the ride of the chassis. That's a big deal with 4-stroke sport sleds. I got rid of mine and returned to 2-strokes for go-fast riding. The buddy I sold it to loves it. Different strokes for different folks. For heavy hauling I had a perfectly good 2-stroke wide track and sold it to get a newer 4-stroker for pulling freight. I wouldn't want to bust trail cross country with it but it's the cat's meow for doing what I do with it. I love that sled.

In all cases, my 4-strokes all started easily in all temps, never have over heated (I can't say that about my liquid 2-stories), and made smooth, consistent power through the entire rev range. Some love the 4s, some don't. Most who don't have never spent any real time on them, so be sure to consider that in the equation. Which motor you decide on is less important than the overall sled. Get the sled that works for you. My advice? Ask the folks in Nome what they think. Local knowledge and local dealer support is important.

I'll second dealer support. Now that most sleds are fuel injected you need a trustworthy dealer to work on it. And being remote just makes it worse if you have a brand with no local dealer. The 4 stroke ski-doo widetrack line since 2007 will not overheat. They have fans and radiators like wheelers do. The 20 wide machines ride real good and the 24 wide will pull your house around if you want to! The smaller sportier 4 strokes are the ones that will have cooling problems in certain conditions. No fan & radiator. A $900 kit will get you one though

Default 4 vs 2

I have a 2009 Viking Professional. As far as cold starts, it will start fine down to -15 without plugging it in. I have started it at -40 with no problem w/ the engine heater/battery tender plugged in...it's something to consider for Nome, especially if you plan on overnighting somewhere.
    I'm not crazy about the weight of a 4 stroke...mine is close to 800 pounds. The gas mileage & power are great.
    In my opinion, take a look at the Bearcat 570 w/ the 17 gallon tank and the wide track. It's the best of both worlds and there is a dealer in Nome. I'm happy w/ the Viking, but if I had it to do over again I would go w/ the bearcat fan cooled for the reasons above (weight, overnight starts).

Thanks everyone, i mean it.
    I prob wont be going to Nome anytime soon now... I just got a job offer to go back to Iraq as a Civi (provided the govt picks up the contract with Raytheon, they are confident that they will).
    It will prob be a couple years before i get back to the great state of Alaska, but on the good side I will be debt free when i get there and im still not sure where i want to live at, i like Fairbanks (having lived there before) but we will see.
    I will keep picking all of your brains, this site is awesome for info.

thanks again.
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.