Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small Generator (quiet)

Default Small Generator (quiet)

I am in the market for a small quiet generator. I am looking at a couple of small Honda’s on CL. I will be using this generator to provide light duty power while RV camping and to provide power to an aircraft pre-heater.

I am looking at all options and would like to hear any opinions you may have. Thanks

Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

Honda EU2000i. Quiet, Light, easy to start. They are spendy at a minimum of $900. But we've got 7 years of running EVERY DAY on ours and it still purrs like new. Will run for about 9-10 hours at half load on a gallon of gas.

Personnaly, I'd go with the 2000w over the 1000 watt. The 1000w, doesnt seem to have much more run time per gallon and isnt really much (any) quieter..although it is smaller and lighter...good luck

Yamaha also makes good, quiet generators.
    Honeywell generators are also good and quite a bit cheaper(less than 1/2 the cost of Honda and Yamaha).
    Through Amazon you can get free shipping too.
    My buddy picked one up and it works great.
    Not quite as quiet as the Honda or Yamaha but very close.

http://www.honeywellgenerators.com/products/hw2000i

http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-HW20...owViewpoints=1

Not familiar with aircraft heaters. How much juice do they need? I made a mistake with my math on being able to run a small welder with my Honda EU2000i. Doesn't put down a good bead when the genny is bouncing off the rev limiter! I also know it will run WFO plugged into a block heater and two pan heaters on my truck.

Alot of people dont realize that an electric motor (for example) can take 5-6 times the running amps to get started.

I cant run my well pump on a 2000w gen. It could "run" it easily, but wont start it...

Yup. Another good example is a microwave. Even a small one in a camper will make the 2000 giddyup, then it settles down to a low idle once its cooking.

I use a Reiff preheater and my 1000w generator runs it easily. I've rarely needed more than the 1000w but my last generator I bought was a 2000W Honda. It didn't cost much more, is more versatile with the added output, but it is bigger. If you plan to carry the gennie in your plane you'll prefer a 1000w. If you're using it and leaving it in the truck, a 2000w is hard to beat for all around versatility.

Yamaha and Honda make really good inverter generators. All of them are whisper quiet unless you're demanding max output power, and even then they're quieter than the older (pre inverter) generators were when drawing an average load.

Thumbs up Honda EU2000i

Another vote for the Honda 2KW. Bought it a year and half ago, and finally took it out of the box for a seven-day camping on the Russian River last week.

Exceeded my expectations. In fact, don't know how I ever lived without it. Won't take the trailer out again without it.

Just make sure you put oil in before trying to start it for the first time. Fortunately, Hamilton's was a short drive from the campground.

A friend and I were laughing looking down the airstrip lot at Arctic Man. About two out of three campers/motorhomes/trailers there had Honda 2000w generators. Honda could have made a commercial. They've sold a ton of 'em.

Owned both the Honda 2000 and the Yamaha 1000. Currently we use the Yamaha in our RV when we just want to watch TV/DVD's. It is very quiet and light and will run 8-10 hours on approximately a quart of gas.
    We also use it for home back up to power a couple of lights and TV.
    Bought the Yamaha in 05 and havent even changed a spark plug in it yet.
    Honda 2000's are nice but unless you need the extra wattage I see no reason to go bigger.
    Can't go wrong with either choice.
    Tennessee

I'm trying to decide whether to buy a relatively cheap($550), one year old yamaha 1000 or to spend the extra dough and buy a new 2000. We have a 24ft travel trailer, but we rarely watch t.v. so the generator would be used primarily to recharge the batteries.

Anyone care to weigh-in with their experiences with a generator being too small, or heavier than necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by Scottsum View Post
    I'm trying to decide whether to buy a relatively cheap($550), one year old yamaha 1000 or to spend the extra dough and buy a new 2000. We have a 24ft travel trailer, but we rarely watch t.v. so the generator would be used primarily to recharge the batteries.

Anyone care to weigh-in with their experiences with a generator being too small, or heavier than necessary?

A 1000 is plenty unless you want to run a hair drier, microwave, electric kettle or other higher draw item.
    I have a 1300 watt generator and it will run my espresso machine nicely.
    It will charge your batteries, run the tv and vcr.
    $550 is a dang good price for that Yammie. Go for it.

Amazon has a 2100 watt honeywell generator. About the same size as the honda and just as quiet. I want a Honda for my camper but the honeywell is half the price and from what I hear just as good.

We have a pair of Honda 2000s and a cord to join them when extra power is required.

Is it possible to join two different makes of generators for some extra juice, say a honda 1000 and yamaha 1000, or a 1000 and 2000? I'm new to this stuff.

I dont believe that is possible Scottsum...well I'm sure it's possibe but not a good idea unless you are a sparky and really know what you are doing.

I think it has something to do with synchronizing phases or some other electrical voodoo...

Is a Honda 2000 worth the money?

Quote Originally Posted by PACK1969 View Post
    Is a Honda 2000 worth the money?
    I would buy another one at twice the price. I have used mine to power my enclosed sled trailer, power my boat out for days in PWS, to run a freezer for freezing fish or game while remote. Also you can charge batteries if needed.

If the generators' have the same, Voltage, Frequency (60hz) and in Phase (same phase relationship) they can be paralleled.

Default Should have known then what I know now...

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    Alot of people dont realize that an electric motor (for example) can take 5-6 times the running amps to get started.
    I cant run my well pump on a 2000w gen. It could "run" it easily, but wont start it...
    I learned this lesson only after buying the 2000W Honda. Great, quiet unit - reliable and perfect for winter camper operation (lights, heater fan) but limited if you have big load demands; it might not be enough for running some RV appliances - microwaves maybe. After buying my generator, I found helpful info on the Honda website including the following:

• Watts = Volts x Amps
    • Amps = Watts/Volts

I figure I can load up to 8 amps or so at a time, keeping in mind what dkwarthog posted, that some machines/appliances require more load during startup than in run mode. Check out,
    "Determining the power needed by an appliance" at:
    http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/p...er#Determining

Heard many good things about Hondas and Yamahas. Wouldn't hesitate to buy either if I needed to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast