Thread: Modifying xtra tuffs

Default Modifying xtra tuffs

Has anyone ever slit the tops of their xtra tuffs to make them fit your calfs better? I have very muscular calfs and I can't get my xtra tuffs pulled all the way up without them cutting off the blood flow to my feet. If you have done this how did it work? Any unforseen issues?
    Take care of the earth. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children.

If you have to slit them you might as well cut em off. I roll them down and up as needed. They make short ones.

I love ExtraTuffs, but I have the same issue with them. Too bad they don't make them gusetted.
    Now what ?

I know I wish they would make them gusetted too.
    Take care of the earth. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children.

I guess there is a big advantage to having long legs...my calves are about an inch above the top of my Xtra-Tuffs...but if they weren't I would be rolling them down.

I wouldn't split them, you will more than likely get a rub spot on your legs from the edges created from the split. If need be, roll them down or cut them off at the level you need them
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Default Could you...

... dunk the tops in a pot of boiling water, then quickly fill the tops with towels or something to allow them to cool in an enlarged manner? Just a thought. Never tried it on boots, but it has worked for other rubber things I had to enlarge to pull over something.

I remember larger fitting ones that had a little belt and buckle cinch at the top. Might have been the Redball ones though.

Get Muck Boots. I have big calves and Xtratuffs don't fit over my calf. Muck boots do, and they are very comfortable.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Just get different boots. I've never figured out why X-tra Tuffs were so popular. I've got a pair of LaCross Burlys that are way more comfortable, are taller so you can go through deeper water, and about the same price. Helly-Hanson used to make a great pair of boots too, I bought mine at the AC store in Dutch..but I haven't seen them since.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Just get different boots. I've never figured out why X-tra Tuffs were so popular. I've got a pair of LaCross Burlys that are way more comfortable, are taller so you can go through deeper water, and about the same price. Helly-Hanson used to make a great pair of boots too, I bought mine at the AC store in Dutch..but I haven't seen them since.
    Well OK, but what about the perfectly good, if a little snug at the calf, pair of xtra-tuffs standing by the door?

I have a perfectly good set of XT's right under my desk as lumber yard slippers for spring. Just rolled them down so they'd fit on my legs. Everytime I put them on I remember just how uncomfortable they are compared to my Burlys
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem