Thread: Eureka over the 4th weekend

Default Eureka over the 4th weekend

Having never been to Eureka, how busy is it there (IE to find a camping spot etc) over a long weekend like the 4th? We would be taking a popup camping trailer, a 16ft 4 wheeler trailer and 2 trucks.

Default Parking

anywhere will be busy over the fourth but Eureke has lots of room with no designated parking, you will probably have somwe close neighbors but again that will be all over so enjoy who you meet and one nice thing about more people being around is you can generally follow someone to find some nice riding.
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

I might go up there this weekend too~rallying two '84 Big Reds. Haven't been up their over the 4th. Seems like there is a people-spill everywhere on the 4th. I'd expect company.

Tim

Don't park in the bottom of a hole. You might end up in 2 feet of water. There is also a spot a mile past the normal parking lot a mile farther on the south side. It is actually a nicer spot IMO.

Mike

If you travel south on the highway a couple of miles, you'll pass two possible camp sites on the right and one on the left. At least one is the old head of a mining road/trail. They are tight and not completely level, but to me they beat camping in the giant parking lot with eighty of my closest friends.

There is also a place further up the road to the north a few miles on the right hand side (as one heads north).

Thanks for all the input.. We are going to give it a try and see how it goes.

We made the trek to Eureka Saturday morning and parked at the first gravel pit on the left just past the lodge. The weather was a little sketchy on Saturday but Sunday turned out to be pretty decent. Here's a couple of pics of us having some fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images

...and a couple more...
    Attached Images Attached Images

We made it up there Friday morning to the same gravel pit and stayed through Monday morning. Martin14, you look familiar, im sure we saw you along the trail.. We were on different 4 wheelers Friday and Saturday for the most part so we would have been harder to spot.

Friday we left from the pit to 4 corners, then took the trail to the lodge. Yes there we caribou, it was rainy and it was pretty... it was even loads of fun picking our way through bog after bog.. right up till the last bad one when a friend smoked the belt on his 750 brute force pulling a fellow out (he ran off without saying much as he was trying to make it into the woods to help his friend who was hurt) There was also a lady and 2 kids in a new 4 place rzr stuck... I was able to pick my way across and which the 5mph limit kawasaki and 2 other machines across, but the lady's rescue team arrived before we were in a position to help her. We ended up towing the kawasaki the remainder of the way to the lodge and back to the gravel pit. Mine ended up over heating a few times due to a mud packed radiator, but a good splash through a mud puddle in the gravel pit help a bit.

The Saturday, we rode to 4 corners, then took a right to monument.. up to lookup where the remains of a trailer and the sign are... more caribou and lunch.. then we went back as we left a few folks in camp (less a few machines) and didnt want to leave them out the whole day.

Woke up Monday morning to clear sunny skies..... all in all a great trip... I can see now its going to take several more trips to explore that area.

Also.. thanks to the folks that camped near us for the kind offer of the can of starting fluid for my friends power stroke.. worked like a charm when it was time to go.