Thread: lake louise to susitna lake channel

Default lake louise to susitna lake channel

Do any of you know what vhf channel people use up there to notify other boats when you are entering and exiting the channel between the two lakes? I know most of the locals do this but I can't remember what vhf channel they use.

I have ran that channel a number of times and did not know anyone did this, heck I have never even seen an antenna on any of the boats up there.

I have always relied on the open visibility of the channel to insure another boater was not coming from the opposite side. Not perfect but not much is in the boating world in Alaska.

I usually shut-down outside of the sand flats and listen for oncoming traffic...if it`s quiet it`s time to go through.

Channel 11. I use a handheld VHF!

Going to Susitna "Northbound traffic in channel to Susitna, Northbound traffic in channel to Susitna" then "Northbound traffic clear, Northbound traffic clear"

Be VERY careful this year. The lake is VERY LOW! The entrance to the channel is narrow and shallow. People are walking prop boats through the channel!!!! Maintain speed through the orange markers. If you let up.... you are grounded... don't ask me how I know.....

Following the shoreline or getting near islands can be dangerous. Do so at risk. There are rocks in Lake Louise.... some are near surface.

I had to back my trailer OFF the bottom of the launch to float my boat.

The road has really gone to pot. The last mile is very rough. DOT has temp repaired a few of the really bad spots. You can launch your boat and trailer many times before you even see water if you are going too fast.

As of Saturday; Wolverine Lodge has fuel, but no hose. Have to carry fuel in gas cans or go to Lake Louise Lodge.

Fishing has been pretty slow. They seem to be off pattern a bit this year.

Mike

Mike I apologize for saying people don't have antennas I failed to think about hand held VHF. If I remember correctly there is a sign stating what channel to use at the first boat launch and camp ground.

That lake and Susitna both can catch you when you are not expecting it with those crazy rocks, extended shorelines, and who knows what coming up out of the depths. Every time I am out there I find more surprises but so far have been lucky and on my game when they pop up.

Tyone is a lot easier and safer to run but then you have to deal with all the grass and lilly pads. Then again you have to get through the other two lakes to get there.

The Lake Louise system is not a set of lakes that one can go to and think ahhh I am off the rivers and can relax my gaurd now, in many ways they are even worse than rivers since there seems to be no rhym or reason to the shallow areas and the rocks.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Mike I apologize for saying people don't have antennas I failed to think about hand held VHF. If I remember correctly there is a sign stating what channel to use at the first boat launch and camp ground.

That lake and Susitna both can catch you when you are not expecting it with those crazy rocks, extended shorelines, and who knows what coming up out of the depths. Every time I am out there I find more surprises but so far have been lucky and on my game when they pop up.

Tyone is a lot easier and safer to run but then you have to deal with all the grass and lilly pads. Then again you have to get through the other two lakes to get there.

The Lake Louise system is not a set of lakes that one can go to and think ahhh I am off the rivers and can relax my gaurd now, in many ways they are even worse than rivers since there seems to be no rhym or reason to the shallow areas and the rocks.

Rob
    Rob,
    I have noticed that the farther north you go in the lake system the rocks get bigger and badder. There are many in Tyone just below the surface! Be careful out there. You headed out for the 4th? I should be there quite a bit over the next couple months.
    Mike

Thanks dirtofak that was the info I was looking for how much lower do you think it is from this time last year? Usualy I can run thru with my prop on step but if I slow down I hit even with it tiped up. Sounds like I may be walking it this year

I just talked to a fellow out there. The lake is -5 inches. He believes that it will go much lower this year. He said they are trying to get the word out on safety in the channel. Northbound traffic on the hour and southbound traffic on the half hour. They don't want to make it wakeless because the bigger boats can only go through on step. The hill has not been mowed as of today. If you have a prop, you may want to stay in Lake Louise.

I would bet that the water in front of my place is down 18 inches.

Mike