Thread: Buying a used atv...

Question Buying a used atv...

If I buy a used atv off a fella, how do I know that he owns it free and clear? Do atv's have titles?

Also, I'm not sure if I should buy a 90 cc or 125 for my kids (7 & 11). A 125 might be a bit big for the 7 y/o now (he has 120 snowmachine experience but not atv) but I figure my daughter can show him the ropes on the atv. Don't think a 90 would fit my daughter so well in a year or two. Am I correct to assume that he can grow into the 125 even though it may be a bit big for him now. Any thoughts?

Tim

I just got a bill of sale from the guy I bought my used one from.

Default Good idea...

Bill of sale is a good idea, but does it have any legal standing if their is a lien on the machine? Am I over thinking this?

Tim

Default titles

Yes they do have titles...my kawasaki and polaris cam with one...that way you KNOW its not hot, and paid for
    In the Bush

Default Titles

Tell him youd love to buy the machine but if he cant produce a title tell him youd like to run the S/N first to make sure its not hot. Then watch his body language you may see him squirm....not a good sign
    In the Bush

Default Not sure about titles for ATV's

I don't like to be matter of fact because I have been known to be wrong, but I don't think AK issues motor vehicle titles for ATV's. They do for snowmachines. ATV's do come with a document of origin or something similar, but not a title like a motor vehicle. Not speaking for other states.

Is it possible to own an ATV and get a title, probably, but just because someone doesn't have the title doesn't mean its hot or that they are hiding anything. I've sold and bought vehicles using a bill of sale.

If you're concerned aks the person where they got the atv from. Ask them for their bill of sale. Or you could contact DMV or AST and see if there is a way for you to search the year, make, model, location, and vin# to see if it or an ATV similar to it comes up stolen.

Good luck.

I got a title from Yamaha on my Grizzly, but don't have one issued from the State.

We've always used bills of sale on other equipment and haven't been burned.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Post Few tips from my lending institution...

I was just looking a few months ago for a used ATV and I was concerned about some shady deals...so I asked them where the liability of a hot ATV landed. It was all mine.

The DMV doesn't do a thorough check on the vehicle when they process a title on a machine that has a "lost title", just a quick one.

Bill of Sale - Says you bought it in good faith, but in the end if someone puts a lien on it, and they have proof your new toy is the property, you hand it over.

File a UCC (Universal Commercial Code) inquiry with DNR. Checks all registration information on the ATV, just another way of cross checking the owners story and previous owners.

Anything short of a receipt from the dealer with the stamp "Paid in Full" with the selling party's name on it is a risk.

Like AKjaq said... tell the seller that you want all the proving documents and watch their reaction. The stories I have heard are unbelievable!
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post
    I don't like to be matter of fact because I have been known to be wrong, but I don't think AK issues motor vehicle titles for ATV's. They do for snowmachines. ATV's do come with a document of origin or something similar, but not a title like a motor vehicle. Not speaking for other states.

Good luck.
    The Document is known as a "MSO". Dealers will mail it to the lien holder if money is borrowed, which may in turn mail it to the current owner regardless if the ATV is paid for.

AKArcher

Manufacturers Certificate of Origin. These things are often lost/misplaced by the owners. Usually only a bill of sale signed by both parties is how it is done. If you don't have a good feeling, don't buy it. Your gut can save you a lot of headache and money sometimes!

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    Manufacturers Certificate of Origin. These things are often lost/misplaced by the owners. Usually only a bill of sale signed by both parties is how it is done. If you don't have a good feeling, don't buy it. Your gut can save you a lot of headache and money sometimes!
    Interesting that the banks all refer to it as a MSO, looks like it should be MCO.

AKArcher

Yup, never understood the acronym myself. Oh well

Quote Originally Posted by AKArcher View Post
    Interesting that the banks all refer to it as a MSO, looks like it should be MCO.
    MSO is manufactures(sp?) statement of origin. I bought my 04 grizz used and the previous owner had an mso. I did buy a used 04 sportsman 90 and the previous owner stated he didn't have an mso but we wrote up a bill of sale. Thats all you can pretty much do really. I work for AKUSA an we finance used atvs/sms/utvs all the time without mso's and just use a notarized bill of sale.

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    If I buy a used atv off a fella, how do I know that he owns it free and clear? Do atv's have titles?

Also, I'm not sure if I should buy a 90 cc or 125 for my kids (7 & 11). A 125 might be a bit big for the 7 y/o now (he has 120 snowmachine experience but not atv) but I figure my daughter can show him the ropes on the atv. Don't think a 90 would fit my daughter so well in a year or two. Am I correct to assume that he can grow into the 125 even though it may be a bit big for him now. Any thoughts?

Tim
    Tim this is Jon. You looked at my sons Sportsman 90 the other week. My sons 9 and the 90 is a little big for him now. I'm sure that's the reason he's intimidated by it. Once I sell his I'm going to pick him up a 50cc and see how he likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Psylas View Post
    MSO is manufactures(sp?) statement of origin. I bought my 04 grizz used and the previous owner had an mso......... I work for AKUSA an we finance used atvs/sms/utvs all the time without mso's and just use a notarized bill of sale.
    Thank you Jon for the clarification...

AKArcher

To reiterate what others are saying. ATVs come with a Certificate of Origin from the manufacturer. Alaska does not require registration, but you can choose to for whatever reason (its a good idea, if it were to be stolen or whatver). They use the same tags as sleds.

Quote Originally Posted by AKArcher View Post
    Thank you Jon for the clarification...
    Glad I could help Most people register with the state due to some restrictions when riding on some state land from what I hear. Like Outnabout said its also a good idea in case it were to get stolen.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by outnaboutnak View Post
    To reiterate what others are saying. ATVs come with a Certificate of Origin from the manufacturer. Alaska does not require registration, but you can choose to for whatever reason (its a good idea, if it were to be stolen or whatver). They use the same tags as sleds.
    sled are however REQUIRED to be registered
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here