Thread: guns in the chugach

Default guns in the chugach

Does anyone know if you are actually allowed to carry guns in the the Chugach State park?

Quote Originally Posted by jdawg907 View Post
    Does anyone know if you are actually allowed to carry guns in the the Chugach State park?

Guns or Firearms.......? You can carry both. (Unless your a Felon)

Chugach State Park- YES.

Chugach National Park- used to be No, but that might have changed since now they allow guns in Yellowstone.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Yes; guns are allowed in Chugach SP and you can hunt in Chugach SP; but there are rules on where you can shoot for hunting. I imagine you are carrying for bear protection.
    Never heard of Chugach National Park; but yes you can carry guns in all national parks now; but you are not allowed to discharge them (in National parks).
    No problem with Chugach state park tho

As said the answer is yes and it is a lot of fun to take em places like Eklutina lake trail when the tourists are thick. Only thing more fun than that is seal hunting in Home and cleaning them at the fish station. Unfortunately you have to be Native to enjoy that and I don't qualify. My buddies response w/ a grin on his face when admonished by a tourists w/ young daughter in tow, "baby seal, it's whats for dinner".

Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    Chugach National Park- used to be No.

I believe you are Thinking of the "Chugach National FOREST". Part of which is now managed by the Parks Service, but in not Park.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I believe you are Thinking of the "Chugach National FOREST". Part of which is now managed by the Parks Service, but in not Park.
    Additionally, firearms have always been allowed in Chugach National Forest. The Nat'l Forest system did not restrict firearms to the extent that the Nat'l Park system did.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Guns or Firearms.......? You can carry both. (Unless your a Felon)
    Obviously you have not heard of the law change taking place where certain felons will now be allowed to "own and carry".
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Default Additional NPS information

http://www.nps.gov/wrst/parkmgmt/firearms.htm
    http://www.nps.gov/dena/parkmgmt/firearms.htm
    http://www.nps.gov/kefj/parkmgmt/fir...nformation.htm

Kenai Fjords NP is the closest National Park Service unit to the Chugach National Forest or Chugach State Park. The nearest boundary to the road system is at Exit Glacier and the Resurrection River area. Regulations have always allowed the carry of firearms in that unit since its establishment in 1980. Details are on the above link (the kefj one).

Links to two other nearby, road accessible parks are also above. The one with wrst in the url is Wrangell-St. Elias, and the other is Denali.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Additionally, firearms have always been allowed in Chugach National Forest. The Nat'l Forest system did not restrict firearms to the extent that the Nat'l Park system did.
    I did mean Chugach National Forest, my mistake.

I remember hiking near Seward and the sign at the trailhead said "No Firearms" and it was part of the Chugach National Forest. That's been...oh...10 years ago now. That's why I said "used to be no, might be yes now." Glad to see that either I was mistaken or that they've eased up on the gun restrictions.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    I did mean Chugach National Forest, my mistake.

I remember hiking near Seward and the sign at the trailhead said "No Firearms" and it was part of the Chugach National Forest. That's been...oh...10 years ago now. That's why I said "used to be no, might be yes now." Glad to see that either I was mistaken or that they've eased up on the gun restrictions.
    The forests are multiple-use, it's part of the USFS mandate. Probably restricted the discharge of firearms within some distance of the trial and/or structures.

Guys you will find a sign saying "no fire works, camping or discharge of firearms" at almost every trail head, thing is in most cases they mean the parking lot, not the trail or surrounding area. Seems some folks like to sight in there rifle and set up camp in the parking lot!

Michigan Mike
    I'm from the UP and I have a little brother named Mike.........small world. Just use good gun sense like you would at home, the regs are actually a bit more restrictive in Michigan than here. I live on the north side of the Chugach national forest, send me a PM maybe we could get together for a beer while your here.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.