Thread: Ever hunted the Ivishak or Ribdon Rivers?

Default Ever hunted the Ivishak or Ribdon Rivers?

Just looking for anyone who might have experience hunting on or near these rivers. They are just 2 of many options our pilot has mentioned. We will be hunting Caribou Aug 27th thru Sept 3rd. Ive never hunted that far north. Im trying to figure out if either of those rivers would be good during those dates. Thanks.

I am also looking at the Canning as a possibility.

Cool Ivishak

Ten years ago nobody hunted the Ivishak. Since then, everybody has hunted the Ivishak.

Quote Originally Posted by LungShot View Post
    Just looking for anyone who might have experience hunting on or near these rivers. They are just 2 of many options our pilot has mentioned. We will be hunting Caribou Aug 27th thru Sept 3rd. Ive never hunted that far north. Im trying to figure out if either of those rivers would be good during those dates. Thanks.
    On the Ribdon R. never saw much for sheep except on the South Fork. Upper Ivishak - up stream from where the outlet from Porcupine Lake dumps in - a lot of good sheep country with some nice rams. A pretty big area - great for someone willing to put forth the effort. Pretty long history of sheep hunting in the area, 30+ years I'm aware of. We would pass through the area with mules on our way to the Sheenjek R.
    Good Luck - let me know if you want more information.

Joe (Ak)

I would probably look elsewhere than the Ivishak. Hunted in 2006, there was some exceptional hunting in there, but that was a really good year in alot of places. It's been pretty disappointing since. As many have said earlier, very popular place to go hunt.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Both drainages can/do produce a lot of Caribou, you just have to be there when the 'bou are there. The dates you quote, my bet would be the Ivashak, but there will be more hunters (air boat folks). Ivashak is also better to do a float trip out of...Ribdon has some big white water I have been told...you might try and contact AK Nimrod, I know he has taken a boat into the Ribdon...
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather