Thread: 2 Butts, 1 Rod!

Default 2 Butts, 1 Rod!

Thats right 2 Butts on 1 rod, What makes this so special, This is my first(s) Halibuts i ever caught.

But i was wondering has anyone ever caught 2 fish on 1 rod (at the same time of coarse) just wondering how rare this is...
    Thanks

also can someone Identify this fish:

caught this at Almaga in Juneau.. never seen on of these before, Thanks guys!
    I Wish i could change my name to Shimano, because i recently started hating Ambassdor Abu_Garcia.

Quote Originally Posted by Abu_Garcia View Post

But i was wondering has anyone ever caught 2 fish on 1 rod (at the same time of coarse) just wondering how rare this is...
    Thanks
    Nice job on the double!

Not all that uncommon while fishing 2 hooks in a chicken patch. I've seen it happen a few times before.

Bottom fish is a Greenling, I believe.

They are fun on light tackle, easy to catch, and pretty good eating.

Quote Originally Posted by northriver21 View Post
    Nice job on the double!

Not all that uncommon while fishing 2 hooks in a chicken patch. I've seen it happen a few times before.
    Thanks man, Yea i think it was just special because it was my first one(s) but im starting to get the hang of Butt fishing, we limited out that day and went back th next and caught 4 more (50lbs, 40lbs, 17lbs and 10lbs) but the crazy thing is as soon as it hit the bottem they were both on, its like they were fighting to get to it...
    I Wish i could change my name to Shimano, because i recently started hating Ambassdor Abu_Garcia.

I caught two 20 pound halibut last year off Flat Island with one 12/0 Gamakatsu J Hook baited with a chunk of Octopus. I thought I had a monster on the line. Obviously the first Halibut took the bait but had the bait in the opening in his mouth and the other must have attacked it pushing the hook all the way through because the first halibut was sliding up and down the leader being stopped by the weight on a swivel and ther other had the hook down its throat. My buddy whom had a charter service many years ago out of Homer was with me along with his son and he said out of all his years of fishing, he had never seen that happen.

A few years ago I took my wife's uncle fishing. He had never caught more than a few Bass and Catfish. He hooked into a 90lb Halibut and a big Ling on a double rig. We did have to release the Ling since the season had not opened yet.

Steve

Default Double on a Halibut Rod

This would be the only kind of Double I have ever had on a Halibut Rod...

I am thinking someone was VERY hungry... Seriously head first?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Default 2 halibut one rod

Great job on the double up. Fishing with two baits in an area with a bunch of hungry halibut that can happen for sure. They are aggressive feeders and can work up into a frenzy down there.

It is extra special because it was your first halibut, and you got a two for one.

Can't beat that!
    Alaska Fishing Forums : They are my addiction!

Haven't done it myself but saw a kid catch a big grouper and a snapper on one hook. Snapper ate the bait, grouper ate the snapper, fisherman ate both of em.

the little fish is a white spotted greenling.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

my dads gotten a 2 lings on before. one was eating the other one

I got 2 silvers on a cut-plug over by south shelter once. Apparently they both hit it at the same time, so one got stuck on the front hook and the other on the back.

Default 3 fish 1 rod

Caught three fish on one line once. I was using a hootchie setup and caught two black rockfish. As I was realing up a ling grabbed ahold of one of the rockfish.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Hey were and how do you fish for the greenling? Seems like fun
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

I used to catch greenling in our dinghy. We'd anchor up in PWS somewhere, and I'd row out to some rocky point or kelp bed and drop a smaller hook (3/0 maybe) with bait on it. Pretty much the same concept as fishing for halibut or rockfish, only on a smaller scale.

It's a lot of fun. There's all kinds of smaller fish down there that you just don't catch with big hooks and bait. If you just use a little trout rod, pretty much anything you hook is going to be fun. I've caught flounder, greenling, cod (a decent sized cod on a little rod can be interesting), various sculpin/irish lords, some smaller rockfish, small halibut...one time we spent all day out of Homer fishing for halibut, and only got a few chickens. We took a dinner break and anchored up behind Yukon Island. I dropped my rig and caught a 30 lb halibut, which turned out to be our biggest of the trip, and on 8lb test by far the most challenging to get to the boat...lol.

You can also fish like this in pretty much all the harbors and have success. It's a really good way to keep the kids entertained. They will also occasionally hit jigs, lures...pretty much anything that will fit in their mouths if it's in the right spot, as you can see from the picture. If I didn't have an appropriately sized hook to use, I'd put a little piece of bait on the hook of a small pixie or other spoon and jig it right off the bottom.

And, not that it necessarily matters to anyone, but in my opinion greenling are probably the prettiest fish to catch up here. Some of their colors can be really amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lake creek fishermen View Post
    Hey were and how do you fish for the greenling? Seems like fun
    I wasn't fishing for it, i was actually fishing for Chum salmon while i was waiting for the boat to get to the harbor.... I was trying different color spinners and i guess he liked the pink one. I was surprised when i reeled it in, i have fished that place hundreds of times and never caught/seen one.
    Put up a pretty good fight for the size, i was surpised it was so small when i got it on land.