Thread: Can I pick your brain... July 15-18?

Default Can I pick your brain... July 15-18?

First off, I don't know what I would do without the help of all you knowledgeable members. I'm completely new to all of this and appreciate all the help and suggestions people share!!!

Anyway, I actually have some time off work coming up (July 15-18). I'm looking to do the camping and fishing thing with a couple visitors but I don't know what we should target or where we should go. From what I understand, that's a little early to really get on the second run of reds on the Kenai.

Any suggestions on where to go and fish the middle of July (from shore)? We are pretty much open for anything. And of course, the more fish the merrier

Thanks again for the help!

You might be able to get lucky with an early silver at the little su and there should be some chum salmon in there than too. That being said, you might be a week early

Quote Originally Posted by iusckeeper View Post
    First off, I don't know what I would do without the help of all you knowledgeable members. I'm completely new to all of this and appreciate all the help and suggestions people share!!!

Anyway, I actually have some time off work coming up (July 15-18). I'm looking to do the camping and fishing thing with a couple visitors but I don't know what we should target or where we should go. From what I understand, that's a little early to really get on the second run of reds on the Kenai.

Any suggestions on where to go and fish the middle of July (from shore)? We are pretty much open for anything. And of course, the more fish the merrier

Thanks again for the help!
    Last year I went to Soldotna during this exact same time period and limited out on reds every day. The closer you are to the mouth of the Kenai, the earlier you can catch them. The run timing has to be right though. If they're a few days late then it will be pretty slow. Keep an eye on the run charts for the "Kenai River sockeye run".

Might be able to get some early pinks and silvers on bird creek. A few reds will be showing up at jims creek. Should be able to do ok for reds on the kenai on the lower stretches. If you look at historical data for the kenai late run, it gets anywhere from 25,000-40,000 fish a day through the counter for the dates you're talking about. The counter's at river mile 8 (I believe) so if you stay on the lower stretces I think you should do fine. It's been a slow first run there so you might get lucky and get some fish that sacked up for the second run. Couple years ago I was getting silvers in mid july on the parks streams. Trout fishing should be good on streams with active salmon runs. Second run Russian river reds will be just starting, but historical numbers for that period are not spectacular.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Default Not too early for Kenai Reds

There should be a few reds for you to catch at the Centennial Campground in Soldotna by then. If you get lucky and happen to be there during a big slug of fish, you will be in Heaven. Unless of course the run is late.

I was debating Centennial. What about rivers other than the Kenai? Along the same lines... what about places outside the kenai peninsula?

The Kasilof and Moose could be worth a shot. I have not fished the moose in years but always see people fishing it. I fish the Kasilof from shore and have done well.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Well I guess it depends on were you want to go for reds..........the Kasilof, or the Kenai I would say Soldotna area like swift water. Moose is a good place but vary hard to fish and a lot of people snag fish more then any thing. You could try hope for pinks, there might be reds in seward down nash road, there might be reds in the little sue by the bridge in houston. So I guess it all depends on were you want to go. But they can befound all you have to do is ask and look!

I have never fished kasilof, that sounds like a good deal. Where can I get historical salmon run information? Where should I start or focus having never been there before?

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by iusckeeper View Post
    I have never fished kasilof, that sounds like a good deal. Where can I get historical salmon run information? Where should I start or focus having never been there before?

Thanks again
    http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/FishCounts/
    Experience is a hard teacher because you get the test first and the lesson afterwards.