Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Working on a Dipnetting Links Page

Default Loks gr8 from gr8fl

I would suggest linking to some of the forum posts regarding gear/setups used for both the Copper and Kenai Pen fisheries. There is a LOT of useful info and it can be a chore to read through it all.

Love this so far!

Default her's a link

to Frontier Outfitters. I went to Sportsmans Warehouse, Samsons, Fred Meyers, Wal-Mart and ended up back at Frontier Outfitters/Sentry Hardware every time. Best selection and prices for dipnetting gear.
    http://www.frontieroutfittersfairbanks.com/

gr8fl, thanks for the info and time you put into this dipnetting site. I read it every day and got my limit at Chitina on the "10 day theory" a few weeks back.

Ed

Also, not to spitefully detract from Hem's associated store in Chitina (The 'One Stop' place), but there's a private residence in Chitina, on the right-hand side as you're coming into town from the Richardson/West, where a gentleman sells ice for $2.50/bag as of this year (and they're BIG bags, filled to the top).

I think he may have been lower in price last year, not sure, but that's neither here nor there now.

He operates on the trust system; if he's not there, or he's otherwise 'indisposed,' there's a cash box on the front porch and a freezer that's typically stocked full of big bags of ice.

We've made use of his entrepreneurial presence for a couple of years now. It's fast and easy. If it's late at night, be respectful and try to be as quiet as possible.

And please, everyone, remain on the honor system, and treat this fellow's trust in kind. Otherwise a good thing may go the way of the western plains buffalo and the unicorn.

Default Solicitation for "The Best Dipnetting Tips"

Quote Originally Posted by FairbanksBowHunter View Post
    I would suggest linking to some of the forum posts regarding gear/setups used for both the Copper and Kenai Pen fisheries. There is a LOT of useful info and it can be a chore to read through it all.
    Great idea! Okay, I'll add a section for "The Best Dipnetting Tips" from this forum. Send me links to your favorites and I'll put it together.

~tr

Default gr8 idea

Quote Originally Posted by gr8fl View Post
    Do you think the links should be annotated?

Another possibility is to include links to specific forum responses to common questions.
    No need to attribute links but annotation is absolutely necessary yes. And the tougher thing over time is to keep them updated. A heck of a lot of Internet-links are obsolete and pointing to sites that have moved or down before you know it. There are many free tools/services out there that allow you to submit a single page (of your links) to, and they'll tell you exactly which of them are down/gone.

When you link to this forum link directly to the right post so the guy doesn't have to find the info you're pointing to a 100 posts down. Then he can click on the "show entire thread" or whatever link its called and see the rest if he cares.

If Ron Fuller in Chugiak (makes one of the top two dipnets; you have the other in your list already) doesn't have a web site list him anyway with just a phone number.

Again great idea and I applaud your effort.

Instead of another web link, how 'bout making it a sticky post on this forum?

Some other links.

EO's:

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/EONR/...2DSouthcentral

Kenai weather:

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...ry=kenai%2C+AK

Phone numbers:

Comm opener hotline: 262-9611
    Hem's: 823-2200
    Ron Fuller: 688-1271

Default a couple more

Don't forget Cordova District Fishermen United www.cdfu.org
    also Prince William Sound Aquaculture www.pwsac.com
    seeings how pwsac makes the sockeyes you guys like to dip in july and august (Crosswind lake and Gulkana hatcheries)
    paid for by the hard working fishing families of PWS

Default Sticky

Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    Instead of another web link, how 'bout making it a sticky post on this forum?
    That would be my hope, that it would be a sticky easily found, especially by new members.

I'll wait for awhile until I get more of everybody's great input, then finish it off.

~tr

Default Kenai Shuffle

I need someone to write up a description of the Kenai Shuffle for the Dipnetting Links page. Any takers?

~tr

Default OK, follow the leader.

When the current gets too intense to hold your net still, just walk with the flow of humanity and when you reach a person that has had a recent heart attack, or is just too lazy to walk with the rest of those people, in waders, curse him/her out for displeasing the masses and pull out. Walk back up the beach and try it again. Keep it up till the flow of water slows down enough to control your net and to stand still, until the next tide.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Default thx whop

That's clear enough. I think the new folks will pick it up real easy.

Here's a test run so far with the suggestions I've gotten.

http://home.gci.net/~reetz/DipnettingLinks.htm

I'd like to post it on the forum, but the formatting won't transfer. Also, how will I be able to edit it? Additionally, if it's a sticky, can the sticky be locked so no posts are made to it, thereby keeping the info at the top level?

Default Alaska Salmon Dipnetting Links Page

Version 1.0 now at my GCI account @

http://home.gci.net/~reetz/DipnettingLinks.htm

If you have knowledge of past posts that will help newcomers, let me know and I'll include them.

BTW, I had to delete some graphics files used in last year's Kenai, Kasilof, and Fish Creek discussions to make room in my account, so some old posts are going to be missing charts.

~tr

Default Dude, you can have those charts

when you pry my dead cold fingers off of them. Just go pay more for added storage and we will be good!!!
    BTW, you going down to the Kenai this year? Let me know. I need to give you the chance to fill my waders.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    BTW, you going down to the Kenai this year? Let me know. I need to give you the chance to fill my waders.
    Whop, I know a trap when I see one.

How's that gonna happen when you fish from a boat at the Kenai? Go stand on the beach like a man and then call me.

And where's that picture of your mug you promised everybody? I have special plans for it.

~tr

Sweet website Tony. In my bookmarks now. I for one appreciate your efforts.

Tim

Default no problemo

glad it's helpful--i've been using it, too...

Just added a new link to the Commercial Fishing section:

Upper Cook Inlet Catch by Area

Shows current info on how many fish by area and species are being caught currently.

~tr

Default Salmon Run Charts

Gr8ful-

I can't believe these charts haven't been added to your links list yet.

http://alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/Sonar/kpcharts.html

They are great for trip planning and comparing current run counts to the historical averages runs.

Dan

Default ooh man

I can't believe it either, Dan. thx for the heads up and that link is there as we speak.

thx again.

~tr

Default Anchorage Daily News Dipnetting Article

Yesterday Anchorage Daily News published the following article about Kenai River Dipnetting. At the end of it are two informative links that lead to many more web pages' links related to dipnetting and management of related fisheries - include personal use dipnetting across the state. Enjoy.

Dan

Kenai River dipnet fishery starts Saturday

TIME TO FILL THE FREEZER: Alaskans looking to stock up for winter get their opportunity.
    By MIKE CAMPBELL
    mcampbell@adn.com
    Published: July 7th, 2010 10:56 PM
    Put away those poles. Mothball the reels. Bag those silly lures and flies.
    Time to haul some serious fish flesh.
    Beginning Saturday, Alaskans can emphasize the catching part of their fishing formula at the mouth of the Kenai River when one of the state's most popular personal use fisheries opens.
    Dipnetting starts just after dawn and runs 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. daily for the rest of the month. Typically, the peak is July 16-25 -- although the early returns of second-run red salmon to the Kenai have been strong. Nearly 29,000 reds have passed the Kenai's in-river sonar during the first five days of the count, with more than 10,000 going by Monday.
    "We're getting some good counts early in the year," noted Jason Pawluk, assistant area management biologist with the Alaska Department of Fish and Game. "And we're getting good indices from our offshore test boat."
    Unlike most sport fishing, personal-use dipnet limits are set by household, not angler -- 25 salmon per season for the first household member and 10 for each additional member participating in the Kenai and Kasilof fisheries. Of the total household limit for the Kenai dipnet fishery, only one may be king salmon. In addition to a resident fishing license -- nonresidents are barred from fishing or helping in any way -- every netter needs a free permit on which fish are logged as they're landed.
    Alaskans with a huge yen for salmon can gain another 15 fish -- or 30 per household -- at the Chitina dipnet fishery downstream of the Chitina/McCarthy bridge, which began last month.
    Typically, the one piece of information of greatest interest to Kenai and Kasilof dipnetters is when northern Cook Inlet commercial fishermen will have their nets in the water. Traditional openers are 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday and Thursday, but strong red runs can trigger extended commercial fishing periods, and Fish and Game notes that the Kenai's late red run is managed primarily for commercial users by order of the state fish board.
    Fish and Game has announced a 12-hour opening beginning this morning at 7, followed by a 36-hour window without commercial fishing that ends Saturday morning.

"I'm trying to think of my personal experience," Pawluk said. "We've gone out on days when they're commercial fishing and done good. I don't think there's really any strategy."

There are, however, three main approaches:
    • Rooted. Wade out to a spot, stand there, stick your net out and wait for reds to hit it.
    • Moving. Walk the riverbank with net extended, which can develop into a rotating loop with other netters doing the same thing.
    • Afloat. Dipnetting from a boat offshore can be the most effective -- as well as the most difficult -- type of dipnetting.
    "It's difficult to dipnet from a boat if you haven't done it before," Pawluk said.
    Two people per boat -- one dipping, one driving -- works best.
    "Drag from fish in the net can cause your boat to want to turn in a direction," Pawluk added. "It can be pretty crazy out there. There can be a lot of close calls."
    Veteran Anchorage netter Petr Bucinsky uses his jet ski for greater maneuverability.
    "It can be a zoo out there," Bucinsky said. "I saw one boat last year take on a bunch of water. I've seen people hit sandbars."
    But Kenai police chief Gus Sandahl said that, overall, last year went well. His biggest issue tends to be maintaining smooth traffic flow on busy weekends.
    "There's a little more of that road rage with people who just get impatient," said Sandahl, who was in a two-hour meeting on the forthcoming fishery with Kenai city officials Wednesday afternoon. "But we don't get partyers coming down for dipnetting. It's not like the Fourth of July."
    Sandahl will deploy four seasonal officers in khaki uniforms during the fishery, with officers on a Polaris Ranger all-terrain vehicles patroling the north and south beaches.
    His advice: Prepare so you can load or unload in a couple of minutes, including boaters at the city dock.
    "Be prepared for a quick deployment of gear," he advised. "Be ready to launch. It's the people who aren't prepared who hold up everyone else."
    The Kasilof dipnet fishery has been open since June 25 and may start seeing the meat of the run beginning this weekend.
    Kenai River Classic
    The Kenai River Classic, a three-day king fishing invitational that raises money for habitat restoration, education and research, begins today. Sens. Lisa Murkowski and Mark Begich as well as Rep. Don Young and 16 state legislators and numerous corporate executives are expected to participate, according to Bob Penney, a co-founder of the nonprofit Kenai River Sportfishing Association.
    "They're all here because they're conscious of the need for conservation of the fishery," Penney said.
    It's the 17th classic, and some $12 million has been raised to date.

Reach reporter Mike Campbell at mcampbell@adn.com or 257-4329.

Kenai dipnetting
    • When: 6 a.m.-11 p.m. daily through July 31
    • Who: Alaskans only. Sport fishing license and personal-use permit, available from license vendors, required.
    • Limits: 25 salmon per permit, plus 10 more for each household member. Only one of the 25 may be a king.
    • Handling Catch: Immediately record your catch on your permit. Tail lobes must be removed before bagging and before leaving the beach.
    • Boat Motors: Only boats powered by four-stroke motors, two-stroke motors with direct fuel injection or electric motors are permitted. No horsepower restrictions below river mile 4, which is approximately one mile below the Warren Ames Bridge. For information regarding boat and motor restrictions above river mile 4, contact the Department of Natural Resources at (907) 262-5581.
    • Dipnetting Fact Sheet: www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Static/region2/pdfpubs/dipnet%20101.pdf
    • Rules, Maps, Charts: www.adfg.state.ak.us/special/special_fisheries/pers_subsist_home.php

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast