Thread: shrimping in Prince William Sound

Default shrimping in Prince William Sound

This is our first year at shrimping. On our first try we set out pots with pellets and cat food as bait, at 300' and left them over night. We had very few in the pots. Are we leaving them out too long? Should we be bringing them up after 5 hours? And since we are at long daylight...should we be placing them on the floor instead of at the top of shelves? Also any tips on locations and additional bait advise...

You're not leaving them down too long. While 5 hours is plenty, overnight isn't an issue. We've left ours down for over two weeks and had plenty of shrimp when we pulled them.

Your issue is likely one of location and depth. Quite simply, not all areas are as productive as others. I tried out a couple of new places this spring, and out of 20 pots ran, we caught 17 shrimp total. Lesson learned. Keep exploring, and you'll eventually find a place that produces well. I tend to do better in bays that have fresh water running into them, but I'm not sure if that holds true throughout the Sound. Additionally, try shrimping a bit deeper. Make sure you have at least 100-200 feet of extra line, but if you can, set in 450-650 deep water. Your catch rate should improve with greater depth.

Default Yup right stop and some other info

Found this PDF, AK Fish & Game put together, might add info?
    Attached Files Attached Files

The above link provides some valuable information however be sure to check current regulations as the ones on the link are a bit out dated.

Thanks for the info...we did put the pots out at fresh water entries. And I know we were deep (i had to curl that weighted line into the basket:>) I do think we dropped them one over another and need to adjust that...No worries...Just another great adventure in Alaska! Enjoy the holiday where you may go...I like this site.

Quote Originally Posted by alaska dundee View Post
    Thanks for the info...we did put the pots out at fresh water entries. And I know we were deep (i had to curl that weighted line into the basket:>) I do think we dropped them one over another and need to adjust that...No worries...Just another great adventure in Alaska! Enjoy the holiday where you may go...I like this site.

When setting your pots, try and set them with the tide while under power. This will keep your pots from stacking up. Steep and deep!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default after two week... bait left?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    You're not leaving them down too long. While 5 hours is plenty, overnight isn't an issue. We've left ours down for over two weeks and had plenty of shrimp when we pulled them.

Your issue is likely one of location and depth. Quite simply, not all areas are as productive as others. I tried out a couple of new places this spring, and out of 20 pots ran, we caught 17 shrimp total. Lesson learned. Keep exploring, and you'll eventually find a place that produces well. I tend to do better in bays that have fresh water running into them, but I'm not sure if that holds true throughout the Sound. Additionally, try shrimping a bit deeper. Make sure you have at least 100-200 feet of extra line, but if you can, set in 450-650 deep water. Your catch rate should improve with greater depth.

Seems I lose all my bait in about 14 hours and when that happens there seem to be much less shrimp when I pull. Now, for my bait jar I have been using a plastic tupperware containing that I drilled holes in. You guys think that maybe this is the reason I'm losing my bait so quickly? I should say, I'm using dry cat food.

So when you pull your pots after two week, is there any bait remaining?

Default On the bait thing

I can see no concievable reason to leave pots two weeks and would fully expect the bait to be gone in that time. Now I'm not in the 2 hour soak camp either as it has not proven productive FOR ME, others have differing opinions which I respect. I think it's more a matter of your chossen bait as any of the cat / dog food products seem to have a shorter life than the commercially prepared shrimp baits. Using the stuff purchased from Steve in Palmer, I fill the jar and in the morning some bait remains. Looking at the remaining bait the pellet size and condition tells me "they ate what's missing! However the softer baits have long since desolved so how would you know whether it was eaten or simply washed out of the jar?
    Point being, don't try to save a penny on the bait there's not that much difference. I guess the ideal situation would be to have a small amount of bait remaining when you pull your pots which assures you, your not fishing baitless. I prefer a mostly empty jaw on the pull because if you still have a jar full of bait you most likely also have a jar full of lice that will soon be all over the bottom of your boat. Dealing with them is another matter which I'll leave for later.
    My .02, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Emu View Post

So when you pull your pots after two week, is there any bait remaining?
    Nope, no bait remaining after such a long soak. It isn't a matter of practice for us to leave them down so long, but it has happened and there have still been shrimp in there. Perhaps it has to do with pot design and they have a relatively hard time getting out? There aren't as many shrimp in there as there might be otherwise after such a long soak, but there are still some in there, so I don't buy that all the shrimp leave as soon as the bait is gone. I've read folks claims on here that they'll vacate as soon as 12 hours into a soak, and that just doesn't match up with what I've seen.

I'm of the opinion that a good area will yield alot of shrimp weather a 2 hr, 2 day or 2 week soak, and a poor area won't produce no matter the length of the soak.

The biggest disadvantage of longer soaks is an octopus cleaning you out.