Thread: ....my 2010 black bear harvest....

Default ....my 2010 black bear harvest....

...finally connected on a bear...

-I posted this earlier in the bear baiting forum....I hope you don't mind me posting a thread here, as well.....
    -not everyone makes it over to the baiting room; and I wanted to share... (there's a lot going on in there, though...really worth reading, if some of you haven't already... I need to catch up on everyones' harvests, as well...);

.....Put in my time; bears finally started hitting the bait 5 days ago...I kick myself for not ordering some of the bait balls from Jess(Baitem 907)...they (the bears) would have come in sooner, if I had gotten around to contacting her- next year, for sure, Jess!
    -well, the bears finally found the bait; I was starting to give up on it; Terry kept reassuring me they would come in; he was right...we took turns getting in to the bait station; he's let me hunt it mostly- his work has him slammed from multiple directions right now;
    -enjoyed taking the kids in periodically; I wanted them to be able to watch the bears coming in-

-just my luck that I connect on a decent one when Terry's gone working in Whittier...on the phone late last night I was ribbing him for conveniently missing out on all the work helping his honey with taking care of this bear !-lol-

-brief initial post here , with a few prelim pics...more details later...
    -trying to get this meat packaged and in the freezer this afternoon-

-to make a LONG story SHORT-(which Terry tells me is not one of my particularly strong qualities-lol-)
    .....I didn't have time to get my bow ready, or even get up in the stand-
    -18 yards away from the bait, they started coming in-
    -watched one for a while; started to quietly and slowly chamber a round in the .338 (Terry's Sako mod 61 ...I love that rifle, with the handy short barrel-)...
    -then, this guy came in and chased the first one off-

-took a quartering away shot when it presented itself; he jumped, flipped, and ran ...collapsed 20 yards away-
    -I walked up to the bait, treked over to where he collapsed...-his whole neck and head were gone, wedged way down in a narrow ravine-type hole;
    -not a minute later, the other bear came back in to the bait;
    -so, I opted not to gut and quarter there...also, we seem to get brownies on our bait once we have a gut pile-

-so I made a decision to drag him out whole and get him on the wheeler.......um; all I can say about that right now, is it took me a lot longer than I thought to accomplish......
    -an hour and a half brushing a trail down to the river bed, rolling and dragging this guy....I never felt so incompetant. -then, I started getting real mad; funny how anger sometimes can get things done-lol-
    -I felt like an African dung beetle rolling my prize back to the compound...-lol-

-don't ask me how I got him situated on the 4-wheeler....I must have had some divine aid from my numerous guardian angels that felt sorry for me, and maybe wanted a good laugh-
    -it helped that there was a 7' drop down from the edge of the woods to the river bed-
    -then, another hour and a half lashing and relashing him on the wheeler, since he kept rolling and shifting every 50 yards as I picked my way over and around the huge rocks up river...
    -had 2 creek crossings that I was dreading; normally the wheeler and I are floated down stream for 12 feet or so, the creeks are pretty high right now-

-made it to the trail; another hour chugging the straining wheeler to the house; the kids, which all had been autopilot for the evening, all came running out, yelling "Yes!...Yes!....it's about time, Mom!"-lol
    -that was the best part for me, I think-
    -got a few pics of me with the bear my 12 year old took, after I got home-

-Terry called...he's looking forward to making the tunnel opening as
    early as he can, tonight; -can't wait to share with him.......even if he missed out on all the work........

-a public message to my guy, Terry .....I love you, honey!
    -this bait station was a joint effort.....even though I was going it alone on this.....I definitely couldn't have done this without you and all of our efforts to work this station....

-you were there...
    ....a well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed....

Default ...some initial pics of my bear...bait station 2010, standing under my tree stand

...a few initial pics, for starters ....
    -a decent bear for the Kenai...and, great coat with no rubbing to speak of!
    ....I still am kind of miffed at how I got him on the wheeler, and home, by myself....
    -really made me appreciate the hard work when I finally rolled in the drive, though...
    -then,as you know, more work ensued the next few hours........

-I can hardly move today....feels like I've been run through a hide tumbler......

-I thank the Lord for this beautiful gift, and meat for our table-

........hey, I was having kind of a bad hair yesterday...and it had been raining a bit...try not to look too close-lol-
    ....a well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed....

Default Good bear

That does indeedy look like a good bear. He's got plenty of good things going for him.

Congrats on a job well done. "African Dung Bettle" That was funny!

Are ya gonna do any taxidermy on it?

Smile nice

Congradulations! Thats a beautiful bear and should be tasty. Nice to have bears waiting in line to get harvested!
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Thumbs up Great bear!

Great story...of a great hunt....for that very fine black bear.
    And while its often nice to have a hunting partner, or hubby along...I believe you will always have some special memories of your solo effort.

dennis

Thumbs up

Excellent, thanks for sharing the moment.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

another fine testement to your strength Kath... good job
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thumbs up

Great write up and pics. looks to be a very nice bear indeed but then again they all are went worked for.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Great Job Kathleen!
    I think a bear is the worst animal I have ever dealt with to handle - nothing to hang onto! It didn't take me long to to learn to put a couple pieces of good rope about 10feet long in my pack and a couple bears later a come-a-long on the 4wheeler! I learned to ratchet them up a tree and drive the 4wheeler under the bear and lower it - saves a lot of back problems!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Congrats on a fine bear.
    My wife Becca didn't get a bear this spring. It wasn't because we didn't try. With two young daughters her time was limited. Got a ton of great pictures and I got a a lot of exercise. This was my first year baiting. Not only did I educate some bears but they gave me an education. I learned a bunch. If you ever need a packer let me know.
    Olin

Way to go! sweet job!

What's the marks on his back...........rubs, wounds? Kinda looks like you ran him over with the wheeler!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    What's the marks on his back...........rubs, wounds? Kinda looks like you ran him over with the wheeler!
    Looks like bungy cords on his back.

Default nice bear sheephuntress

good job and nice story....lol sounds like you had quite the time dealing with him by yourself...great job getting it done. that's what its all about...getting it done.

Congratulations on a fine bear, aksheephuntress and thanks for posting the story and pics.
    That's a lot of bear to work through the brush for that far. Funny, that of all the things we might include on
    hunting checklists - "block & tackle" isn't on there. Might be on yours now, eh? Congratulations!