Thread: Woman hooks 200lb halibut twice

Default Woman hooks 200lb halibut twice

-Taken from the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner:

Melody Darbec of Fairbanks hooked a 200-pound halibut off a charter boat running out of Valdez. After getting harpooned by a deckhand, the big 'but ran under the boat and snapped the line. Crushed by the loss, she rigged up again... and hooked another monster a little later. When they got the big fish on the boat they quickly recognized that it was the same halibut she had just lost!

She now leads the Valdez Halibut Hullabaloo Derby. Way to go, Mrs. Darbec!

If it was harpooned, how did it get away from just the line breaking?
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

The only explanation I can think of is they did not drive the harpoon tip deep enough, they pissed off the halibut and it took off, seems pretty amazing that it stuck around and got caught again

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    If it was harpooned, how did it get away from just the line breaking?
    I'd have to agree with both of you. If it was harpooned properly it shouldn't have gotten away by the line breaking, but if it was "missed" and the tip pulled out then what an amazing thing to happen.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    I'd have to agree with both of you. If it was harpooned properly it shouldn't have gotten away by the line breaking, but if it was "missed" and the tip pulled out then what an amazing thing to happen.
    Nice thing about a snake charmer. The only thing you pull out is pellets out of the cheeks when your cleaning fish.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    Nice thing about a snake charmer. The only thing you pull out is pellets out of the cheeks when your cleaning fish.
    I have a propensity for gaffing them right through the middle of the cheek anyway so it doesn't make much of a difference.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Default crazy

While striper fishing on the east coast a few years ago a guy I was with caught a decent size fish. When he landed the fish his hook was hooked through the eye of a hook that had been left in the fishes lip.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by bamf29 View Post
    -Taken from the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner:

Melody Darbec of Fairbanks hooked a 200-pound halibut off a charter boat running out of Valdez. After getting harpooned by a deckhand, the big 'but ran under the boat and snapped the line. Crushed by the loss, she rigged up again... and hooked another monster a little later. When they got the big fish on the boat they quickly recognized that it was the same halibut she had just lost!

She now leads the Valdez Halibut Hullabaloo Derby. Way to go, Mrs. Darbec!

That is way too cool! Congratulations Melody!
    I hope you hold on to 1st place in the derby. All I can think is the beast took one look at you and decided you were a keeper and bit your hook again.
    On another note its hilarious the irony of some of our members w/ an over abundance of testosterone. They fail to see the victory here. No, they chose to explain how they would have gaffed it or how or the proper harpooning protocol...

Default harpoon head still there?

Anyone know the story on how they recognized it was the same fish? Was the harpoon head still in there with snapped line trailing? her jig still hooked in lip or what? Just curious

She looks pretty proud of that fish, Good Job Charter guys, I don't imagine that is real easy to boat one of those fish, just freshly hooked, and then what if it had been hooked, Hauled up, harpooned, broke free, then snagged on the lip and hauled up again, Maybe one Fairly Mad Fish!?!?

I love that hook eye hooked story as well. Unreal.
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    That is way too cool! Congratulations Melody!
    I hope you hold on to 1st place in the derby. All I can think is the beast took one look at you and decided you were a keeper and bit your hook again.
    On another note its hilarious the irony of some of our members w/ an over abundance of testosterone. They fail to see the victory here. No, they chose to explain how they would have gaffed it or how or the proper harpooning protocol...
    Anybody who has handled a good amount of big 'buts knows that stuff happens in the heat of battle.. I know guys with 20 years of big hali experience who occasionally screw up harpooning a halibut. Just what happens when you are hanging over the side of a boat in a 8ft swell trying to get a perfect harpoon on a big fish that won't come up straight to give you a good angle.. all on 4 hours of sleep. Hell, I know guys who have shot halibut only to have them break off and sink to the bottom.

Great story by the way. Hope she wins.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Anyone know the story on how they recognized it was the same fish? Was the harpoon head still in there with snapped line trailing? her jig still hooked in lip or what? Just curious
    http://newsminer.com/view/full_story...ce--but-twice?

The guts were coming out of the fish where the harpoon went through.
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

I had a friend harpoon a big one once, instead of hand-lining or tying a buoy as a shock absorber he cleated the tag end. The fish went down hard and he had too much slack and it ripped the cable that is attached to the tip through the side of itself. They still had it hooked up so they were able to re-harpoon land it.

Default Monday morning quarterbacks

It's easy to Monday Morning Quarterback these things! Congrats Melody you're out doing it! That's one dumb a.$$ halibut getting hooked twice
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel