Thread: ** Quick Question ** Fish Limit (kids)?

Default ** Quick Question ** Fish Limit (kids)?

Alright heading to Homer this weekend hopefully, pending my boat parts arrive. There will be 4 licinsed fishermen on board. Then my son who is only 1 year old will be there aswell. What is the boat limit on fish? 8 or 10 halibuts? Just want to make sure we dont get boarded and find ourselves with a ticket in my hand when the gentlemen leave my boat.
    Thanks

8..... unless your son can set the hook and real it in himself.

Yep, y0gee is correct. Technically "boat limits" do not exist. Each fisherman that is actively fishing is allowed to retain two halibut. Since your son cannot fish, he cannot retain any fish. The only time where a child is allocated fish (to my knowledge) is for personal use dipnetting in the Kenai, Kasilof, and Fish Creek fisheries. The family limit goes up by 10 salmon for each household member, so in that case your one year old makes a difference. For sport fishing, though, he doesn't get a limit until he can catch them himself.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Say the kid is old enough to fish, but not so old he/she needs a license (16 years old if I am reading the regs correctly). Is the law that they can catch/keep fish but are counted against the limit of a licensed adult, or can they retain a seperate limit of fish without a license?

I'm pretty sure my five year old will be able to reel in his own chicken

Quote Originally Posted by scott_rn View Post
    Say the kid is old enough to fish, but not so old he/she needs a license (16 years old if I am reading the regs correctly). Is the law that they can catch/keep fish but are counted against the limit of a licensed adult, or can they retain a seperate limit of fish without a license?

I'm pretty sure my five year old will be able to reel in his own chicken
    They hook it, it's their creel limit.....the same reason they are required to carry a harvest card for Kings. It's their fish.

Yep. If your older child can catch a fish on his own his fish count separately. Can't do that with the one year old, but the 5 year old arguably could catch his own fish up to a certain size.
    Alaska Fishing Forums : They are my addiction!

Well under the he who hooks it caught it rod hand off rule, the only real requirement is that a little guy needs to set the hook then you could reel it in and still count the catch on the childs limit... Or does it not work in reverse?

You are correct, whoever sets the hook, that's their fish. No matter who reels it in.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

We've been over the whole "party limit" or "boat limit" a bunch of times in here.

Bottom line is that's not a legal way to fish. If someone catches 1 and another catches 3 to make up for the 1 the other guy didn't catch, then the guy that caught 3 has committed a few violations.

Now, seeing as how your kid is 1, there is no way he's going to be able to hold a rod, let alone set the hook, so I don't think anyone would buy using him as a fifth person.

Assuming your other child can catch a fish on his own, then he has his own limit. It doesn't count towards yours. I ran into a dad and son new to AK at the Klutina who only kept 3 between them because dad assumed because his kid didn't have a license it counted toward dad's limit. I told him no, you EACH get three. He was thrilled and on his way back to the river....lol.

very informative post... _+1

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.