Thread: kenai river

Default kenai river

i've never caught a huge king in my life on a rod and reel, only in a gillnet and i was thinking about setting up a charter or guide out of soldotna to try and catch a nice king during july. any suggestions on guides or what time would be best to schedule it for? thanks

well, generally these get booked up fast but I love the 3rd or 4th week with Steve McClure. Just a great guide and a class act. www.alaskakenairiverfishing.com

also, would you recommend the full day or half day? sounds like you could have you king in a couple hours and wouldn't need to be out there for 8 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by fishak View Post
    also, would you recommend the full day or half day? sounds like you could have you king in a couple hours and wouldn't need to be out there for 8 hours.
    For what it's worth, I would personally pay for a full day. You increase your chances of success by being out there all day. You never know when (if) your rod will be taken down. It could be first thing in the morning or during the last drift of the day. If it happens early, then sit back and enjoy the rest of the day on the river.

Default Guide Suggestion

I would go with the Fenton Brother's. Both Mike and Murray are first class guys.

Todd

You better book a full day. Some people (like my wife) get lucky and get their fish right away and others like me fish days and days without a King.

Quote Originally Posted by fishak View Post

Don't do a half day trip. Guides that still do these are living in the past and are all about volume and bucks. Not a quality experience, especially when you'e on the morning trip, haven't done much, then have to leave just as the bite begins. The tide is coming in, nets are popping up, and the guide has to leave to pick up his afternoon trip. Total bummer.

The full day trip is usually about 8 hours--I would call it a 3/4 day. But the good guides will often extend it--especially if things are beginning to pick up. They don't have to leave in the middle of the bite, as do the 1/2 day morning charters.

Be carefull of the advise you get here on guides--some could lead you astray. Having said that, I would agree that the Fenton brother's are a good choice. But make sure you go with Mike or Murray, on a full day, and not with a contract guide who may do a half. You may already be too late for this year.

Ron Aldridge, caribou-unlimited.com
    Great guide~knows when and where the big ones are~High integrity.
    Yes on the full day experience.

If you want a good trip with an excellent guide, try John Whitlatch with Reel Adventures.

You catch a fish real quick you will be wondering why you did a whole-day thing......

You don't catch one in the morning you will think you wasted money by not doing a whole day thing

You do a whole day thing and don't catch a thing you will think at least it wasn't from doing a half-day thing.

So if you do a full day thing you may be out a few more bucks, but will only think it was a waste if you catch a fish.... and then you should be happy about your trip so it is not a biggie. You do a half-day thing many more things to regret.....

Joe Hanes
    www.alaskafishmagnet.com
    907-262-6388

I'm not affiliated with him in any way. He's simply one of the very best out there on the river. Ask anyone.

Lots of good advice on this thread. All the guides mentioned are all great fishermen and I would fish with any of them. I would do the full day trip. A guide doesn't have to make decisions based on time due to picking up an afternoon trip and you will get to fish a tide during the day. Most of the guides I know no longer do half day trips. Guides make less money doing one full day trip instead of 2 half days, but the experience of the full day trip is much better, as well as the success rate.

Go with fenton bros. if you can get in with them. I have used them on the kenai and my wife uses them every year on the kasilof.

Default Kings

Try WIDESPREAD ADVENTURES. The owner is Reubin Payne. I have fished with him on the Kenai & the Kasilof. Great guy!!!

I would have to agree with the previous posts. My experience on guide boats let alone spinning rods is limited but on the handful of times that ihave been I volved in guided lower river guided king trips I have caught one right out of the gates and also been skunked on full day trips. On the day when you are the hot rod and you catch one right out of the gates you get the experience of not having any pressure and just kicking back to see if any of your friends are going to hook one and on the days when you don't catch one the guides " full days " aren't long enough. Everyone that gets a chancE to fish that beautiful stretch of water known as the kenai should pay for the day and remember it for a lifetime. Ps as far as guides find Mindy... They are all great, but she's greater.