Thread: Shore fishing in Petersburg

Default Shore fishing in Petersburg

I will be in Petersburg for a week during July 4th holidays during which I will spend some time in a boat targeting halibut and visiting friends/relatives.

I have some free time though that I want to use fishing from shore or even a dock. I know I can catch plenty of herring for bait from one of the three marinas... but does anyone know a good spot from shore to target rockfish? Are there any rocky deep water spots accessible that hold some rockfish or lings?

Also, what are the changes of me catching anything using a live herring on the botton from one of the marina slips/docks say at Middle Harbor? Do any of the halibut come inside to chase the herring and canneries runoff?

R

Default Back Again

Hey Piemel,

It's good to see you're coming back. Fishing in town will be limited to dollies. You'll catch plenty but it sounds like you're up for bigger prospects. If you have access to a car, drive out to the Banana Point boat launch. Walk out to the point and whip a chunk of bait as far as you can straight out on an incoming tide. I know lots of trollers catch halibut right next to the beach there so it's worth a try. Another spot worth trying would be Woodpecker cove. Again chuck a piece of bait out aways and sit back with a beer. I know people have caught halibut right in the cove so that's a spot worth trying.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoater View Post
    Hey Piemel,

It's good to see you're coming back. Fishing in town will be limited to dollies. You'll catch plenty but it sounds like you're up for bigger prospects. If you have access to a car, drive out to the Banana Point boat launch. Walk out to the point and whip a chunk of bait as far as you can straight out on an incoming tide. I know lots of trollers catch halibut right next to the beach there so it's worth a try. Another spot worth trying would be Woodpecker cove. Again chuck a piece of bait out aways and sit back with a beer. I know people have caught halibut right in the cove so that's a spot worth trying.

Hi! Glad to come back Every time I tell Cindy's dad that I caught a striped bass or a ling cod he tells me "nice bait". I am not sure if any Petersburg resident has ever caught a rockfish... only halibut and salmon seem to count. The rest is bait

Speaking off bait, nobody fishes with live bait there eh? Would love to try dropping a live herring with a stinger hook to the bottom at one of the docks.

Default Try it

Could be worth trying a live herring. Check the regs though, I can't remember what they say about use of live bait. The rock fish around Petersburg are very limited. I'll usually only catch one or two a summer when I fish near town. Those always get turned into fish tacos. The problem with fishing whole or live herring right in front of town is that there are so many already there it's hard to make your own stand out in the croud. I'll be down for the weekend so hopefully we'll run into each other.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.