Thread: Nowitna

Default Nowitna

Greetings All!

I have alot to learn about float trips, and I am really excited about getting into float hunting. This said, I have alot of questions that I hope can be answered.

First of all, I chose to float the Nowitna, I know next to nothing about this river other than it is beautiful and very remote.

I am trying to hunt both Moose and Bear. If I used my Old Town Tripper XL, could I load it with gear, game, and my hunting partner? Is it feasable to have another "Cargo" canoe? With a loaded canoe and "Cargo" canoe, would the boats be able to handle the Yukon river on the way to Ruby?

What float plane services would be reccomended to fly from Fairbanks? Could a bush plane haul two canoes? How much do they cost to run?

I'll have more questions pop up I am sure.

Thanks for the help!

I've spent alot of time on the lower Nowitna, fall and winter. It is a nice place. That said, it is no longer that remote. It sees quite a bit of use, especially during hunting season.
    IMO your best bet is to look for a transporter in Fbks that will fly you out. Or try McGrath. Your going to want someone with a flat plane likely. You'll want to try the upper river, as it will see less hunters. Lower river, below Little Mud gets alot of boaters from Fbks during moose hunting. Lower river has a slow current and you'll do some paddling.
    To my knowledge, there are currently no transporters in Ruby or Galena using aircraft.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Post flat plane ?

It well cost U... the moose are on the bottom 1/2, u well have the best time of your life...if u have the time/$$/.......
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

I need to correct my previous post. You definately don't want someone with a "flat" plane. Haha!
    Should read, float plane.
    There are several different permits/restrictions on the Novi. Familiarize yourself with the regs.

Default Float Plane: Galena to Nowitna

I believe that Sportsman's Air Service (Joe Schuster) is still servicing the bush from Galena during september: 907-248-3181

You'll be hard pressed to find a transporter who has slots available this season. However, some fairbanks contacts with float planes:

1. Shadow Aviation 457-7194 (andy greenblatt)
    2. Aviation Expeditions 388-8797 (myles thomas)

don't know if they'd want to fly hardshell canoes in, but it would cost you a small arm or leg...perhaps both. IMO, it might be cheaper to buy a new inflatable freight hauler and get it done in one or two flights.

good luck,

larry

I was in Ruby over the 4th. 2 women from Calif. floated in and they had been dropped on the upper Novi by Andy greenblatt. He has a 185 on floats. They said they were dropped right below the confluence of the Novi and Susulatna. But that was a very water level dependant spot. The upper Novi can be shallow and not a good float plane river. They said they paid 1500 for the drop. Get an inflateable and maybe you could get in there for about the same.