Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38

Thread: Honolulu Creek kings and beyond

  1. #1
    Member Mr. Grayling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    401

    Default Honolulu Creek kings and beyond

    Anybody fished farther north to get away from the heavy crowds for kings this year? Was thinking of fishing Honolulu and the Chulitna rivers for kings over the 4th of July weekend? Or should I go to the Kenai?
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    North Pole, AK
    Posts
    145

    Default

    Stopped by Honolulu on Monday afternoon. Walked up and down the banks, NO fish to be seen yet

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Eagle River,AK
    Posts
    1,488

    Default

    Fishing won't be good there untill the second week of July...

  4. #4
    Member Birdstrike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,159

    Default

    Mr. Grayling PM sent.

  5. #5

    Default

    Wondering the same thing and how do you access the mouth of Honolulu? Now that much of the Susitna drainage is closed or restricted to king fishing, curious about the Chulitna. What shape are those fish in? Any chromers that far up?

  6. #6

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by kimjn View Post
    Wondering the same thing and how do you access the mouth of Honolulu? Now that much of the Susitna drainage is closed or restricted to king fishing, curious about the Chulitna. What shape are those fish in? Any chromers that far up?
    Park in the gravel pit south of the bridge. Walk or ATV the mining road to the mouth. No fresh fish, but everyone of the Chulitna Drainage Tributaries will be holding salmon at the mouths.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  7. #7

    Default

    Thanks Acres! How about those other streams, the middle and east forks of Chulitna look very nice too. King, silvers, trout up there? Look tough to access besides the road crossing though.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    176

    Default mile 177 access

    Friend told me that when he went up the other day, the gravel pull out at mile 177 had a no trespass sign. Most guys park there and walk or ride in to the mouth. Is that private property now?

  9. #9
    New member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1

    Default

    was up there yesterday and nothing doing. another week or 2????

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kimjn View Post
    What shape are those fish in? Any chromers that far up?
    Every fish up that high will be in rough shape. I would not consider keeping any of them. They have already come up the entire length of the susitna and a good ways up the west fork of the chulitna before they even sniff clear water.

  11. #11

    Default

    Have heard of bright kings up to Troublesome Creek and beyond so was curious to the condition of those upper fish. Guess Honolulu is a ways upstream of Troublesome so maybe they have all turned by then.

    Thanks all for replies.

  12. #12
    Member fishNphysician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Aberdeen WA
    Posts
    4,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Armo_Ak View Post
    Every fish up that high will be in rough shape. I would not consider keeping any of them. They have already come up the entire length of the susitna and a good ways up the west fork of the chulitna before they even sniff clear water.

    And best left alone.... please.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Eagle River,AK
    Posts
    1,488

    Default

    Not true, though they have some color their meat is still excellent for grilling not to mention smoking. Been eating them for over 20 years...

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    20

    Default Honolulu Access

    It has been a couple of years since I fished Honolulu Creek. I accessed it via the trail at the gravel pit referenced above as having a non trespassing sign. A co-worker attempted to access the creek at the trailhead (for lack of a better term) at area but saw the signs and diverted his trip. I like to fish there for trout and kings but definitely want to be clear of the land ownership before I return to the creek. I will do the research but thought this was a good place to start. Does anyone have additional information?

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    squarebanks
    Posts
    23

    Default leave em be

    im gonna have to side with keen eye on this one. any fish that makes it up that far should be left to spawn. they have earned it

  16. #16

    Default ADN Fishing Report

    OK guys, what are your take on the fishing report in ADN this morning?

    Quote: "Northernmost open creek within the Mat-Su King Salmon Derby boundaries was reportedly productive last weekend with many bright fish. Drive to Mile 178 of the Parks Highway, find a place to park, walk the trail (20 minutes) to the mouth where Honolulu Creek meets the Chulitna. Remember, it is one single hook only. Derby website reported that three anglers hooked 34 kings in less than three hours."

    Seems like this fishery is about to bust open.

  17. #17

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by kimjn View Post
    OK guys, what are your take on the fishing report in ADN this morning?

    Quote: "Northernmost open creek within the Mat-Su King Salmon Derby boundaries was reportedly productive last weekend with many bright fish. Drive to Mile 178 of the Parks Highway, find a place to park, walk the trail (20 minutes) to the mouth where Honolulu Creek meets the Chulitna. Remember, it is one single hook only. Derby website reported that three anglers hooked 34 kings in less than three hours."

    Seems like this fishery is about to bust open.
    The entire Chulitna Drainage NEEDS to be busted open. It has remained one of the only roadside fisheries that has not been properly fished. Hopefully, when people get up there looking around for Salmon, they will soon learn of the Rainbow and Grayling that lurk in the depth of the creeks. These creeks are not near as likely to be affected by rain and high water like the creeks in the lower reaches. The Salmon should not be fished that far up, IMO, but some like to fish for them and it is up to them. It does raise Ethical Questions that we will all need to answer one day. How far up is too far up?
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  18. #18
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    485

    Default Let Let The Rat Race Begin!

    Here we go..................

  19. #19

    Thumbs down No Tresspassing

    I spoke to the owner Rep (TCC) about this and it has been filed for conveyance, ala Gulkana River etc. Said they will tow. Nothing like claiming land after the fact........

  20. #20
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    485

    Default ADN

    I guess ADN did not do their homework! Tow some cars and blame ADN!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •