Thread: CCW

Question CCW

My daughter is in her 2nd year at UAA and is considering getting a CCW permit (yes, we know it's not required) when she turns 21 next year.

Does any know of classes that are held on a regular schedule in Anchorage? Any info would be helpful.

Also any suggestions on a good pistol for her to carry would be great. She is 5'7", 130 lbs.

Thanks
    Kingfisherktn

Does she have alot of shooting experience? Or is she a novice?

Small Revolvers like a smith and wesson 642 are perfect for concealed carry. No safetys to mess with, and are inheritantly more safe than an auto pistol. I dislike modern automatic pistols with decockers and all their safetys. In a stressful situation, just squeezing the trigger is all you can think of doing.

Or get a small 357 revolver, it is great for penetration and stopping power, and she can practice with milder 38 special loads, and hopefully never have to use the .357's.
    Formerly known as one who clings to guns and religion

Default CCW

Novice, she started shooting my .480 Ruger with me this summer and handles it well. I like the .357 suggestion, it's a good place to start.

Thanks

kingfisherktn

Also have her get ahold of Steve at alaska tactical. Hes on muldoon up near the airbase. He is a great instructor for CCW. He also does classes for women only.

Default CCW

Blink, is AT in the phone book? I'm in SE AK.

thanks

Oops, I seen that you were in ketchikan and spaced it. His # is 338-3458

Thumbs up CCW

Blink, thanks again.

kingfisherktn

Default CCW Class

I just took one of Steve's CCW classes this weekend. It was well worth the $150.

We had 14 people in the class with experice ranging from people who shoot regularly to those who have never fired a hand gun. He does a great job of preaching safety and teaching the fundamentals.

I recommend it to anyone looking to learn about the responsibilities involved with carrying concealed or just wanting to learn or re-learn the basic fundamentals of shooting a hand gun.

I didn't see anyone mention his website above.

www.alaskatactical.com

Todd

If she is already shooting a 480 ruger, you could even look into a small type of 44 magnum. Taurus or Smith and wesson. its not as compact as the 357 in size, but if its something she is going to carry in a purse, then the 44 would be even better for outdoors as well. 2 birds with one stone kinda thinking
    Formerly known as one who clings to guns and religion

Thumbs up CCW

Good info guys.

thanks

Dean

As for picking her gun, that is something she should do based on how well it fits her hand.

I'll also echo recommendations for simplicity of either a revolver or semi of the Glock genre. Safeties, decockers and other widgits just get in the way of pulling your bacon out of the fire.
    Now what ?

I can recommend she go to Great Northern Guns on Tudor to look at pistols. Another good place would be Mountain View Sports, and also Turpin Gun and Ammo. The following are the only three places I know of that she will enjoy going into. The people in those shops are polite, professional, and don't treat a woman like an idiot.

First time my wife was in GNG she was looking into a glass case at all the smaller auto's. Salesman opened the case without a word and placed three on the counter and asked her which one she liked. While she was holding them he patiently explained what features were on that particular model and the differences between it and the others. When she thanked him for his time and explained she was only looking, he said no problem, just let me know if you want to see something else. Every time we have gone into Anchorage it is the same way. Same occurs over at MVS.

There was the Ammo King in the mall across from the AK State Troopers office down the road from GNG, but they seemed to have closed. She liked going in there too because the older fellows behind the counter would come out and start showing her all the kewl older military rifles and pistols. They had lots of unusual stuff.

Another one was Turpin Gun and Ammo. Every time we went in the people behind the counter would smile and say hello. She liked the friendly personal attention.

There may be other shops we never visited that are women friendly, but there are the only ones we found. And I liked to hit the shops to see what they had.

Smile

I love auto's BUT if you ever need it in a hurry go with the revolver.My wife got mad as you can get when i took her single action beretta .380 away.I replaced it with a Ruger sp101 .357 3" barrel .This gun is a little bigger but stoping power is great.I told her if she was ever in a bind and had to use it there is nothing to think about except point and pull.Good luck

david

My wife and I just signed up for the ccw class with Steve at AK Tactical set for Feb 24 & 25th. Everyone speaks highly of his classes, so we will find out first hand.

My wife shoots a Taurus 24/7 9mm. Shes only 100 lbs and she hands the recoil pretty well. The slide is easy to rack and the grips are incredibly comfortable. Some people stick their noses up in the air towards Taurus but after 500 rounds we have not had one FTE or FTF out of this gun. It goes bang everytime.

+1 on the SP101.