Thread: Lowrance

Angry Lowrance

I have a Lowrance 3500C GPS (color GPS mapping) unit which I bought for $800 in 2005. The other day I started to get a "GPS Module Not Responding."

I downloaded a troubleshooting guide from their website. based on the results, it indicated my unit needed to go into the shop for repair.

I called Lowrance to schedule the repair. They told me they no longer repair this unit and tried to give me a discount on their new HDS unit. They stated there were no parts available anymore. What gives??

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

I had a lowrance unit on my old boat. I never had a positive experience with any of the people there. Customer service is very important as is technical support. I won't buy another one of their units because of this.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Actually, I just bought an HDS-10, and I have called twice with very good results. I had to wait no more than 6 minutes on each call, and the guy was very helpful. So far, I give them thumbs up! Of course, I am still under warranty, and the level of help could change when I go out of warranty.

They did help me troubleshoot and all of it points to the actual GPS module.

Well I now have an excuse to buying a HDS 10 now. I will have to rig it for the Sea Ray (both cabin and flybridge) and for the river boat.

I am now a little leery of a Lowrance product if they only support what they make for a few years. My 3500C cost me around $800 or so and I am looking at spending around $2400 for a new unit. This will be a big investment for me.

I chose Lowrance because I am familiar with them and I like the way I will be ale to expand the system to include radar etc. I guess that is with most manufactures.

What other systems do all you have and what are the good/bad and ugly about them?

Hey Admiral!!!! Pretty please may I.........

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/