Thread: T/C Big Boar

Question T/C Big Boar

Anyone use a T/C Big Boar 58 Cal??????
    Alaska

Never seen one, but it sounds like a great gun. Do you happen to know the twist rate on the barrel?

Default Twist rate

1:48" made for the TC Maxi Ball
    Alaska

Without knowing the Big Boar itself, I can provide lots of encouragement for the caliber. A friend has a 58 cal Hawken he built from a Dixie kit quite a few years ago. There's a noticeable increase in terminal performance on game over the 54's I use, at least as big as the difference between the 54 and a 50, which you would probably expect. It's kinda fun with friends to play "mine is bigger than your" passing around RBs at the range. Compare a 50 cal RB with a 54, then compare a 54 with a 58, and finally compare a 58 with a 50. The difference betewen the 50 and 54 is noticeable but not that great, as is the difference between the 54 and 58. But holding a 58 along with a 50 really makes the 50 seem like a pipsqueek. Not that the 50 is lacking in real terms, but it sure seems to shrink anyway. Everyone in our group comes away saying "I gotta get one of those!"

My one area of concern with the 58 for average shooters is recoil with conicals and heavy charges, even in heavier rifles. Comparing it with a 50 and conicals feels like comparing a 12 gauge 2 3/4" standard load with a 10 gauge 3 1/2" magnum. You can manage it with practice, but you really know you torched one off. The average shooter is going to flinch pretty badly for a while, and the only solution is lots of practice. Don't know if the Big Boar has a hooked butt like my friend's 58, but you will learn instantly to shoot with the hooked butt as it's designed to be used rather than tucked into your should like a modern rifle. Yeehaw!

I'm kinda fascinated with getting a 62 cal fowler smoothie right now because I shoot mostly RBs and at ranges under 50 yards or so. I also like the ability to use the fowler with shot for small game. But if I got the 62 first, I doubt it would solve my lust for a rifled 58. The ability to stretch the range a bit and especially to use conicals makes a 58 like your Big Boar a lot more versatile big game gun.

Of course another friend has a 72 cal with interchangeable rifled and smooth bore barrels he never shoots. I think I've got the muzzleloader disease as bad as I do any other shooting disease, because even if I got his 72 and the 62 I already want, I'd still feel that the 58 was a more versatile and useful gun. Gotta love crazies, don't you?